Friday, May 31, 2013


Not Kidding



Because I think every child star suffers through this period because you're not the cute and charming child that you were. You start to grow, and they want to keep you little forever.

Michael Jackson



  I'm constantly saying to myself, 'I'm lucky I was born in the United States.'

Melinda Gates








We have to be careful in how we use this light shined on us.

Melinda Gates

Chaos






Wouldn't it be nice if we could truly pass on the lessons we learned when raising children to the next generation?  Suppose we did not have to watch them make the same mistakes we did.  What if we really listened to our children?  When I saw the story about a child less than two years old telling her parents that her legs felt "tight" and from that they figured out she had severe juvenile arthritis, I was reminded of the day my two year old didn't want to eat dinner.   Because he refused only one food, pureed red beets, as a baby, and continued to refuse to eat them at any time up until now, you would think I would have been immediately clued in that something was wrong.  Instead, visions of gagging on the peas I was forced to eat as a child played their persistent movie in my head.  I eventually learned to like peas despite a few mad dashes to the bathroom mid-meal to throw up in the toilet.  This change of heart was no small feat, and owed much to the disgusted look on Dad's face when I returned to the table for another try.  Such vast experience was my clue that my child was being defiant when he squirmed in his chair instead of eating the food in front of him.  Of course I gave myself the most terrible mother on the planet award later that night when the onset of tummy troubles was more evident.   Lesson learned.  But there was another lesson coming, of that I was to be assured.  

How we talk to ourselves is how we talk to our children.  In our efforts to guide them with our abundance of wisdom, parents use the voice of great authority to pass along their sage advice.  Little do we know that our words and our tone is the pattern they will use to parent their own children.  If we think we could have done a better job, it's a sad lesson to have to sit by and watch them be focused on the importance of getting the laundry folded into neat piles rather than to giggle and laugh while piling the warm clean contents of the basket upon our heads.  So proud I was of my neat job of lining all the children's books up on the shelf.  Not so proud that I got upset when my child decided it was much more interesting to see them strewn all over the floor.  Why else would they be at child's eye level than for the purpose of discovering the dizzying delight of proudly swiping them all off the shelf and throwing them all over the floor.  The twinkle in the eye turned to confusion when he realized that I did not think it was a fun game.   Instead of the wonder of discovery in their eyes, the child is treated to the parent's dismay to a degree that simply doesn't compute in a two year old brain.  So they try again, this time when you're not looking.  Same thing.  "Mom got mad again, but that sure was fun."  Not that I am advocating letting a child make a game of everything!  Respect for books was a lesson for the house, and outside play for the destructive type of fun that created loud noises and big messes.

One lesson learned is that we too often blame the kids.  It does not seem to matter if we have lost or misplaced something or are just mildly annoyed at life's latest inconvenience, the child's sudden need for something (anything from a glass of milk to dinner or a nap) becomes a perfect excuse to decide they are the problem.   How many times are the kids blamed for taking tools and not returning them?  If it was the case that they were at fault, now that the kids are gone, you would think I would be able to keep a screw driver and a tape measure handy in the kitchen drawer, but no.  With no kids at home to blame, there is no doubt who is the culprit - my husband - who does not seem to appreciate hearing that I blame him for taking off with the tool I do not have at the precise moment he requests it.  Funny how that works.  Never mind.  I know exactly where the hammer is at this moment.  The bathroom.  Don't ask.  


 15 Bean Soup


Our Lane

I think that the only way to teach is by example, 
as children will more easily follow what they 
see you do than what you tell them to do.
Gloria Estefan

Calm

Cold Lunch







Snow-topped 



Multitasking is a part of my everyday life.

Monica Denise Brown



Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.

W.C Fields



7 comments :

  1. Thank you dear one for paving the way again. You paved the way by being the first in quite a nice lineup of children. You trained up the parents so we would have an easier time. As time went on you were the first to have the next generation of children and communicated with your younger siblings ever so kindly to beware of being too harsh. Well I'm not so sure I learned the lessons well enough but since I KEPT having kids, the younger ones are having an easier time of it than the others.

    Your photos are amazing. I just enjoy them so much. Does the last photo of the pitcher of water with lemon and limes mean you got your water machine hooked up?

    I even like the photo of the kitchen chaos. It makes me feel right at home as mine looks like that more than not.

    You are putting together some delicious looking salads my dear. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fruit salad was at Patty's. What a treat. I enjoyed the moments...weather perfect. The water machine is hooked up and I love it...hydration - yahoo! Yes, easy to forget the little ones feelings are so tender. Loved my time with your grandkids...reinforced that for me. Whatever our experience there is much to learn and overcome! Biked today...8 mi one way. Yay for cooperative weather. The kitchen chaos is reflective of our very busy life, I suppose. I am trying very hard to practice, what do they call it - zen? Jerry gives me lots of practice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too loved your beautiful photos and helpful timely words as we embark on our new adventure. I hope that in my advanced age, I can be better at searching for clues in hopes of better understanding her mind. I am so thankful for my children and nieces and nephews and how they have turned out. While we were not perfect parents (and they tell us that we weren't), they are amazing! So thankful for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Your advanced age. :) What are we, like, 80? Anyway, nothing like kids for an honest evaluation. My kids have different memories than I do; both honest and kinder. I am glad for the memories they have that keep me humble, yes, even the ones that left scars, and mostly for the adults they are now - incredible people I am glad that I know. Yes, love them all, every last one, and intend to be as dear and interfering right into my old age as my aunts were, because I don't want them to think for a minute that I don't love them! And likely they will someday understand my endless devotion when they are aunts and uncles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatly enjoyed this post and apologize profusely for not leaving a comment 'til now even though this is about the 5th time I've stopped by and read it (as I'm sure you could tell if you paid attention to your blog traffic map).

    I seem to be at the point where I am thankful for my parents and don't hold much in the way of grudges for my raising, yet at the same time not able to perform much of what I think I should as a parent myself. Maybe progress through the generations is slight. Maybe we can't continue to do all the right stuff right AND correct all the wrong stuff just one generation later. Even if I were able to, wouldn't I just create more wrong stuff? However, I DO know that I am a HUGE beneficiary of having a mother who is currently raising young children at the same time as I and her "advanced age"'s perspective really does help me. It's just the day to day stuff that parents are in the middle of that gets me. The grandparents have a wiser/better perspective because they are not LIVING with these demanding children every moment of every day :)

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to help you with the day-to-day issues. I really think that part of our frustration with kids is trying to be what we think we aren't. (Good enough.) So we look for someone to blame. "Oh, the kids!" Handy subject. Especially since they get inconveniently hungry, annoyingly whiny, surprisingly bossy, and frustratingly bored, and predictably childish all within moments of each other. By child #3, I knew what to expect when child #1 and Child #2 went out the door to school. There were four years of this. I knew that the first day of school when they left a five year old alone in my company after approximately 12 weeks of built in entertainment, it was just him and me. He didn't know it was coming, but I did. I knew he would be lost, he would be bored, he would be aimless. By then I had it figured out, and tried mightily to bring him into my world. We dusted off the homemade taco press and made homemade tacos for supper. It wasn't easy, but we built some memories. After some weeks of this, we went to a nearby vacation property and I caved. TV is a great babysitter and I let it happen. We are going on 20 some years later and the guilt is still with me because I was so easily persuaded to take a grownup break. I'm really okay with it, sort of. Probably lots of mom's will now be thoroughly convinced I am crazy. (If my memory served me correctly, it probably was not the first time since school started that my pre-schooler entertained himself, but what kind of mother does that?) At least I could have watched cartoons with him, right? (I hate seeing people doing things alone.) So this is why we encourage you to try to cherish this time as much as you can. My kids remember, your kids will remember. Good stuff/Bad stuff/in between stuff - you are being rated as a mother all the time, whether you know it or not! I taught him to cook because that is what I did a lot. He can clean like the best in the business. If they are happily entertained in front of a magic box, but still alone...but maybe that doesn't bother your conscience like it did mine, but probably does. So Grandma came and played games by the hour and Duane became the local computer whiz by age ?. The answer? Have more kids, of course. So they can entertain each other. No, kidding. You figure it out. And cook. Kid love to cook. Remember the demarlekids your mom does with Sally. Get into motherhood. It's short lived - it's your #1 job right now. It might not seem like much, but it is huge. You are raising the future of our country! You have in your hands the opportunity to love your husband by loving his children. I bet ya he wants you to be happy being the best mother possible. Someone said that in other countries the mother is a servant to her children. Thinking of it that way helped me through a rough spell. I don't know if any of this is going to help you at all, but that was the intent. Also, there are people who would give a lot to be in your shoes. Forgive me if it still isn't what you are looking for, and write it off to another episode of interference from an out-of-touch aunt!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! I have decided that no matter how many kids one has, there is ALWAYS a last. It will be two short years before my girls' schedule matches perfectly and there won't be alone time anymore (for them). Meanwhile, I will be dependent on my preschooler to entertain herself sometimes, but I do have plans to add in some "just the two of us" activities while Mya is at school, mostly because she is just so upset at the prospect of Mya getting to go and she doesn't get to go. We need to make it fun to be home or doing some other than school too! Maybe we will cook together more. We definitely already clean. Maybe go more often to the library. Maybe go more often to the park. Don't know for sure yet but I'm not too worried. I know everything will fall into place.

      LW in SE WA

      Delete