Friday, January 25, 2013

SEASONED


We shall not grow wiser before we learn that much that we have done was very foolish. 

Friedrich August von Hayek 

Poolside Reader ~ Chandler



Friends
Roasted Chicken on the Traeger Grill and Hot Quinoa Salad


















http://cookitallergyfree.com/blog/2012/11/the-easiest-roasted-chicken-or-turkey-ever-i-promise/#.UQLURb9EEuE

http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-diary/nutrient-packed-crisp-quinoa-salad



Oh, Deer.





 A claim for equality of material position can be met only by a government with totalitarian powers. 



Friedrich August von Hayek 




Political commentary is not really my choice of venue.  Some of the "new" and current ideas tossed around right now by thinking people at every level, that are being presented as a better way of doing things are sufficiently addressed in a book I am currently reading called the Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek.  I have also been working my way through The 5,000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen, one stunningly beautiful founding principle at a time.  Hayek puts it right out there, outlining the purposes, the hopes and dreams of men, the step by step processes, the unwanted, unforeseen results and the inevitable, horrible end.  I can only read a few paragraphs at times because there is so much information that is presented, so much blunt language, like you would really have to be stupid not to understand this, that it is a bit overwhelming and takes time to process in my mind. At the end of the day, what seems very clear to me is:

1. Equal rights does not mean equal things. 
           A. Equal opportunities does not mean equal intelligence, ambition, effort, or talent.

2. Television has given people the mistaken idea that reality is living in a mansion.
           A.  Human nature fools itself into believing we are just as worthy as the next Desperate Housewife.        
                  a) Values matter and are individual.  Our values are not the same as our neighbors, worthy or
                      not.  
3.  Liberal has an old meaning, but a new usage.  
          A.  Conservatives need to look it up and stop using it incorrectly.

4. The Little Red Hen had it right all along. 


Mango Coconut Milk Smoothie




“Strictly enforce the scale of "fixed responsibility." The first and foremost level of responsibility is with the individual himself; the second level is the family; then the church; next the community, finally the county, and, in a disaster or emergency, the state. Under no circumstances is the federal government to become involved in public welfare. The Founders felt it would corrupt the government and also the poor. No Constitutional authority exists for the federal government to participate in charity or welfare.” 









2 comments :

  1. Huh. I wonder if my dad read that book, The 5000 Year Leap, at some point. The quote you put down from it at the end of your post is almost word-for-word one of the more memorable and valuable teachings I learned from him. And I'll tell you what - in this household, we follow it to a T. We very rarely get beyond the first level. Very occasionally, we'll utilize the second level. I can't even remember if we have used the third level, and I know for a fact we have never gone further than that. The only bad thing about this that I can think of is I get upset when other people we are around do not follow the same "rules" and begin taking advantage.

    I'm pretty sure you could be a professional photographer. Amazing job, once again! My favorite is the one of the moon through the tree.

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad is pretty much obsessed, but your mom's beyond, so you should have a healthy share of opinions, for sure. It kind of reminds me of being kids. Not Fair...we always were watching for that! So yeah, pretty much still makes me mad when I see someone get away with something for nothing. Too bad, looks like we will be seeing a lot more of it. Sure believe from what I can tell and my instincts agree that things are not good at the upper levels of gov't. Sure hate to lose a system of government that was so carefully built, and really without comparison anywhere in the world before or since. Yes, people like to make a big racket about our years of slavery and all that, like there was a lot of double standards. Boys, they should just look around. Oh my goodness. Anyway, this subject gets pretty hot on both sides, or should I say, cool to downright fridgid, so I do try to avoid it, but gotta say my piece once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete