Friday, October 26, 2012

Many Splendid Things



I am in favor of preserving the French habit of kissing ladies' hands -
 after all, one must start somewhere.  

~Sacha Guitry




“Women and cats will do as they please, 
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” 

― Robert A. Heinlein




"A self-centered man admitted: "Sure, I know that the Bible says to love our neighbors as ourselves. But frankly, I don't believe that my neighbors can stand all that affection."

Anonymous 





A Bonk on the Head


We begin and began together
When stars collided long ago
Head and tail, me and you
Or vice versa.  Legendary,
Blazing across the sky
Haley’s Comet
Cruising through space,
A remote and familiar
Talisman of ever expanding galaxies,
A meeting of two so young,
Pronouncing the future,
What is meant to be, the pattern set
Then forgotten
An important part of creation
Which not man nor nature may part,
For the evil things can only delay
The inevitable eternal Union
Assisted by angels, who
Have been sent and are
Walking perhaps unnoticed,
Often in fear and pain among us.
Awaken, then my love,
To dream in the
Unfathomable heights
Of night or to be swallowed
In unimaginable depths.
To find that we have been
Born on eagle’s wings
For a time,
Until, becoming less angelic we
See that love truly does exist on this plane
And so does evil.
An encounter with things that
Should not be but are,
We see stars of a different kind.





People who throw kisses are mighty hopelessly lazy.  ~Bob Hope




"Love of country is like love of woman;
 he loves her best who seeks to bestow on her the highest good."

Felix Adler



"No one in love is free, or wants to be."

Rock a bye Baby

A man snatches the first kiss, pleads for the second, demands the third, takes the fourth, accepts the fifth - and endures all the rest.    ~Helen Rowland




Give me a kisse, and to that kisse a score;
Then to that twenty, adde a hundred more;
A thousand to that hundred; so kisse on,
To make that thousand up a million;
Treble that million, and when that is done,
Let's kisse afresh, as when we first begun.


~Robert Herrick, "To Anthea (III)"



"I was nauseous and tingly all over. . . . 
I was either in love or I had smallpox."

Woody Allen


Patty
Joy of Cooking

8 comments :

  1. Thanks for the phone call today. I love the photos, poem and quotes. And see the truth in it all. Onward and upward! Andrea is home and we spent the day at goodwill etc then to supper for my birthday and then went and testdrove a car as she is starting to look for the vehicle to buy when and if she gets money. A lovely day with a lovely start. Thanks for the insight there and here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good to chat with you and have some time to do it without feeling too pressured for time. Worked late at my desk but balanced one of my checkbooks for the last 12 months, then went to bed with a terrible neck ache. Stiff this morning, so yoga sounds like heaven. Now we have a backed up floor drain and Jerry's planning to go to an auction. I want to catch up on more book work, so we'll see how my powers of concentration are today. Jerry's plan for me today is to paint a counter top. I know how that goes, so not very excited about it, a stop gap measure to cover some damage, and it's probably a good idea since we have a (good) renter and don't want to take time to put in new counter tops right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on another post! I enjoy your "No one in love is free, or wants to be." Realizing that truth of that more and more, in a very good way.

    Loved talking to you just a few moments the other day. Made a start and a little progress on my soldering experiment yesterday evening. Turning out at least as well as I hoped so far, so I'm really glad about that!! You know what standards I set up for myself...

    Had a good morning at the gym on Friday and hope to get there more often. Had dwindled down a bit but there are classes I would enjoy attending every day and hope to get to a good variety throughout the week. I have a little goal to get "up to speed" in a few of the classes my friend was so good at and I wasn't, so that when she returns to them after having her baby in about 4 months, I can keep up a little better. Step Aerobics being the main one. Whew! I do wonderful at the routines on the floor, but the step adds an element I haven't been able to conquer since high school. Cardio here I come. My friend has had a very uneventful pregnancy and I'm quite jealous and fairly confident she will bounce right back in a way I, thus far, have been unable to. :D

    Keep up these creative posts. Thinking of you lots!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited to hear your fitness goals. That's no small task! Wishing my life was that simple. :) But I have all these entrepenurial goals, or should I say, my husband has them for me. Quite a different story. But yes, no one in love is free, or wants to be. What I would be under my own power and will, if my true nature is known, is hard to predict but my Dad had plenty of confidence that I wouldn't amount to much. So every day I try to handle things a little better, to make a little progress, to handle things a little more gracefully Ha!! All kinds of ways to make progress. Exercise has kind of gone out the window more or less, so that has to get back on track asap but the bookwork load has been over the top. Making progress, but paying the price with a sore neck. Sigh. Always something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do what we have to do. Embracing my current freedom because we never know what's around the corner...! I know good and well I'll have my struggles. Have had some. :) Hang in there. Wish I could be there to help you - I actually enjoy bookwork to some degree and in any case, any task is much easier with a companion.

      Love LW in SE WA

      Delete
    2. I'm with you, something quite nice about checking any task off my list, and making my way through the books is one of those, but six checkbooks plus all the other stuff is feeling rather like a heap of paperwork about to collapse right on my desk! :) Off to do some jumping jacks and see if I can stir up the enthusiasm for another round! Ack!

      Delete
  5. Nice photos and writing. You do well. The brilliant blue sky photos bring me pleasure.

    That one quote is thought provoking. "A self-centered man admitted: "Sure, I know that the Bible says to love our neighbors as ourselves. But frankly, I don't believe that my neighbors can stand all that affection."

    What I think of that is I should learn to forget myself more and then it will be more possible to give my neighbor (namely my spouse) the affection he should have. Wonder if I'll ever achieve the level of this I wish to. I've been thinking lately my spouse is my closest neighbor. Oh to be more selfless.

    btswdnwtbioti

    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha. Loved our chat today! Life does some to demand quite as much as we can give, and that's where sibs come in, right, to prop us up once in awhile? Just remember, we couldn't push all the manure out of the barn at once. We had to take some breaks and lean on our shovels. :) But so satisfying when the job was done!

    ReplyDelete