Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thought Process

Morning Sun Bath - Willow and Dart 

“And this mess is so big 
And so deep and so tall, 
We cannot pick it up. 
There is no way at all!” 




Going Under

Because there is only a lifetime,
Not enough time to show you what you mean to me,
Now I understand that’s why there is heaven.
The way you hold me, safe.
The way you turn your head to watch me, when you walk away
Is heaven. The way the sunlight
Shines out of your eyes like two flames of fire.
The way you move and  the way you wait,
Your patience with me is beauty beyond words
To me. That you can speak to me soundlessly
Words that are just between the two of us,
And the way my skin tingles and I shiver.
Because you seem to know
Every moment how much I need you.
Although you overpower me
The overpowering is such a beautiful thing
That I don’t mind at all even though I nearly slipped beneath the
Surface of life, close enough
To be overwhelmed by hopelessness that is 
Without end, yet ends. It ends when you raise me up again. 
Then I understand the lesson. You are my very breath. 
So can we do that again?


Man can alter his life by altering his thinking. 


William James


“Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” 
― Robert Fulghum




Try not thinking of peeling an orange. 
Try not imagining the juice running down your fingers, 
the soft inner part of the peel. The smell. 
Try and you can't. 
The brain doesn't process negatives. 



Doug Coupland 





If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever





Hide-and-seek, grown-up style. Wanting to hide. Needing to be sought. 
Confused about being found. 








“...a person that started in to carry a cat home by the tail was gitting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him, and warn't ever going to grow dim or doubtful.” 


“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” 


Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. 


Bill Gates 

Pizza on summer squash actually tasted way better than I thought it would.

   
     These two pictures are my attempt to demonstrate our efforts to have simple, healthy food at our house.  We have a couple of rental remodels going on in Cody and one in Arizona.  This involves me taking several deep breaths daily.  Jerry likes to remind me that we have a lot to do by listing off some of the things he has on his mind before he goes out the door every day. I know, however, that what he mentions is only a partial list.  This does not decrease my stress but I'm glad it seems to works for him.   It is clear that our motivations are sometimes rather different, but I think this is quite normal for couples. I find it both quite difficult and thoroughly fascinating  to work through the reasoning process from his point of view.  It is good brain exercise, it's good for me.  Think http://www.lumosity.com.

      One of the things I love to do is go to the grocery store.  The produce department with it's palette of beautiful and colorful options is a feast for the eyes.  Yellow bananas, apples of pink, green, red and yellow, vivid lemons and limes, forest green avocados.  Golden grapefruit, green grapes, blueberries.  Lettuce, spinach, herbs, orange carrots, purple cabbage, yellow and white onions, green broccoli, white cauliflower.  The deeper the color, the better for vitamins, so I check out the blueberries and the raspberries, and choose the one on sale to add to a smoothie or just eat by the handful for a bedtime snack.  Pick up a kiwi or two for topping a salad or adding to a smoothie.  Selecting the perfect peach.  Smelling.  Are the strawberries good?  The cantaloupe ripe?

      The best food is simple.  It's hard to top the taste treat of a good mixed salad and a fire grilled pork chop with a side of applesauce or a slice of cantaloupe.  If you grill a second pork chop at the same time as the first, slice it up for a cold salad topping the next day.  A lunch of a salad in a jar is hard to beat for a mid day flavor sensation.  Your tastebuds will have a blast.

      A good stir fry is a work of art.  Cabbage is fairly inexpensive, lasts well and can be used in a salad, in tacos, in stir fry, so it's a good choice.   Red peppers are high in vitamin C, and are wonderful on the grill.  Add some some chopped zucchini to the onions, broccoli and celery of your stir fry for flavor and cook it all on the grill.  Mix in some bite sized pieces of warm, juicy, spicy, cooked chicken and dinner is ready.

       Having several selections of fresh fruit and vegetables on hand works because we are so busy in the evening.  Jerry likes a quick supper so he can get started on his evening project and I like having options when I open the refrigerator after a long afternoon concentrating on book work.  I don't participate in the local Bountiful Baskets because I just don't want to commit to going for the pickup and whatever else it takes. That is just too complicated for me right now, but I did enjoy a quick stop at the Farmer's Market. I have to wonder, as I survey my fresh meats and vegetables on the conveyor belt at Albertson's, that ahead of me someone has a stack of frozen chicken pot pies, and bottles of pop, what the real cost differences are between my beautiful fresh meats and vegetables and their pre-fab "food".   I feel proud of my selections and excited so see what meals they will become.  I have some ideas in my head, but time constraints will decide.

          Being healthy costs money whether it is taking care of ourselves now, or fixing ourselves later.  I have an aunt who is 80 plus  years old and goes to exercise class three times a week.  She's been doing it since she turned 55.  She doesn't have children of her own, so that was some of her motivation to be active and fit well up in years, but she is really incredible. The difference in her abilities is so striking when standing next to others in her age group, that really, there's no comparison!  She laughs about it, and it's no wonder.

        Okay, I know.  Pepperoni is not the healthiest source of protein.   It is my favorite pizza, however, so I decided it would be a good way to see if this type of crust would work for me.  I had my doubts, shall we say, but it was delicious.  I think I will try a few healthier toppings next time.  I like green pepper and onions, Jerry is a fan of olives.  Some sausage would be excellent.

        Simple food, easy to prepare for a quick and easy salad, or just slice up and put on the table next to an easy main dish is so tasty, often comparable to the meals we've selected at our favorite restaurants. And the best salad dressing?  Cottage Cheese.  That's my opinion, anyway.  Custom portion sizes are a huge bonus to fixing our own meals, because there's no need to decide whether to eat half of it and take the rest home, and try to re-heat it, or over-indulge now and be miserable for the next 6 hours.

       Because I'm usually on my own for lunch, my mid-day meal is often eat and run style.  Two hours later, I often can't remember if I've eaten or not.  Grabbing several handfuls of grapes on a pass through the kitchen is sometimes as good as it gets.  The reality is that life is sometimes that hectic, and it can be a real battle so plan my snacks so that I'm not ravenous by 5:00 p.m.  Maybe that's why my kids are struggling with this whole healthy eating regime.

        The reason for this post and these two pictures, besides reminding myself of my goals to eat smaller servings more often, is to help the kids through a stretch when it seems eating correctly is as important as it is difficult.  Maybe in the process, I will be more mindful of getting 6 meals a day instead of a haphazard, semi-starved three.

        Several years ago my daughter was given a Robert Fulghum poster.  It listed "Everything I need to know about life, I learned in Kindergarten."  Hanging by our dining room table, it served as the family misson statement.  Aha.  I don't know if you've noticed, but kindergarten kids get snacks!  Just ask the mom of a kindergartner who just this week sent Bugs in a Boat (celery filled with peanut butter with golden raisins on top) to school for the class.  There have been several studies that have proven that eating smaller meals more often enhances weight control.  It sounds simple.  I just need to remember to take my little baggies of veggies tomorrow when I head to my flight. Airport food is so expensive.  Besides, traveling can be hard work!

8 comments :

  1. "Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." All I can say about this is "EEK!"

    Part of that quote from the Kindergarten book says "Confused about being found." Isn't that the truth! The kids hide, which leads to the assumption that they don't want to be found, but before you know it, they're making little noises to help the seeker because it's taking too long for them to be found. And we just apply the same conflicting actions in different ways as we age.

    I talked about a rut in my comment on your other post. I feel stuck in rut about food right now too. Realized that our (my) tastes were getting a bit too expensive. Hmph. No, we're not into the prepackaged foods but need to cut back on all the steak and seafood meals I guess. Should learn more about adding lots of fruit and veggies but really need to keep protein in our diets. None of our family does well without regular helpings of it. And I gotta say that time is one thing I have more of than some people so what other excuse do I have for NOT doing fun things with food?!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry insisted on a very tight budget. It was not easy, but then I learned a lot, so it turned out to be a great idea. Someone once told me that the harder thing to do is most generally the right thing to do. Mom and Dad were completely different about money than my husband who was raised by a single mom on social security after her husband passed away in an airplane crash when he was 15 months old, and Jane was 3. Anyway, I really did learn a lot, poured myself into it, however little credit it seemed I got sometimes. Ha. He brought home the paycheck, and found it hard to understand that I did anything, but so it goes. Hard to see the whole elephant sometimes. :) The most important thing to me was being home for my kids, so whatever it took! I figured I should have the privilege of raising my own children. I so wish you were on pinterest.com. Talk about fun food ideas, inspiration galore. I printed off two recipes today. Maybe I should email them to you!?

      Delete
  2. To my creative sister,

    Way to go on the gourmet food. You inspired us. Today LW was here to pick up the darlings so at your suggestion we had pizza made from pat a pan squash. Sliced it very thin and overlapped it on a clay stone. Topped with pizza sauce, goat cheese, fresh basil, smoked chicken breast and marinated artichoke hearts. Was so good and good for us too. So thanks for the suggestion. When we were kids squash was the one food I just could not eat. It was the texture. Still not my favorite texture but when smothered with all the goodies it was just fine.

    Like your photos. I like how you capture the beauty of the high desert. I used to think it was desolate country but have grown to appreciate the beauty largely because of your influence.

    Keep up the good work.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pizza sounds better than mine. I'm going to have to up my game! Your toppings...yum! Who is inspiring whom? Squash is probably Doug's favorite vegetable, so I have learned to like and appreciate it, however my helpings are not generous. Mom didn't eat it as you may remember, so she didn't do a very good job of backing Grandma up when she served it, which suited me fine. I wonder how your darlings liked it? :) You have taken us to new levels in the gourmet food line with a number of dishes that are both delicious and new favorites. Thank you for those introductions and inspiration. I am only sorry I don't hear more from you these days!

    Yes, the high plains' stark wild beauty is wonderfully highlighted by the changing light of rising and setting sun. Breathtaking, so I'm always attempting to capture some of what I see, and often can't completely get it, too wonderful, the soft evening shadows are mesmerizing about the time we head across the Sage Creek Road in the evening. Its hard to not stop in my tracks and just drink it up. My amazing, dear husband, focused as always on his brief evening hours to renovate, flies right on by, so I don't dare ask. Thus I compensate with some drive by shootings, satisfied that I was at least outside to see it. Would like to branch out a bit, afraid I'm wearing out my immediate surroundings. Yellowstone is so close...need to be there right now! I sometimes yearn to be an artist. If I could only paint what I see, but sadly, my right hand doesn't seem to be gifted with a paintbrush except at the most basic level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No apologies now! Your talent for seeing beauty and writing about it in a deep thoughtful way is a gift not many of us have. I appreciate that you do and use it in such a classy way. I have other things I'm good at and don't feel like I have to be good at what you are good at.

    Just keep doing what you are doing even if you have to resort to drive by shootings. We get the gist of it anyway.

    I think mom didn't make us eat squash because I would gag on it and she didn't want one more mess to clean up. She KNEW I WOULD vomit. Anyway, that's past and now I like it in small doses.

    Yesterday's pizza was stuff I had on hand. The garden froze a week ago which was 2 weeks earlier than it should have so now I need to figure out how to use up squash. About 3/4 of my basil plants froze the first night so I hurried to bring in what survived because I heard it would freeze again the next night. So I do have a good amount of basil that needs used up too. I shop at the grocery outlet so I keep goat cheese and artichoke hearts on hand from there. Our weekend renters left the chicken breasts and I smoked them on the Traeger. So now you know it really was stuff I had on hand. Bet you have amazing things on hand too. Like cream cheese and Alaska Salmon and dill and lemon?

    Better git going for now . Busy week.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess she knew us all about as well as anyone could. The salmon sounds pretty good alright, but I think you just spoiled my appetite over the squash. :0. And as far as the mutual fan club goes, just so you know, I'm in and awed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am a little late in reading this. But so inspiring! I am going to have to try the squash pizzas. I have two acorn squashes from Bountiful Baskets that I need to figure out something to do with them. Not sure they would work for the pizzas. I have never used Acorn Squash before so a new adventure. Guess I will have to check out Pinterest! Or do you have any good recipes?

    I need to work on the

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Acorn Squash is great with s&p and butter. Also, I noticed someone (Nicole) searching for acorn squash recipes, and it was recommended to search for stuffed squash recipes. I think they came up with 100's! Fruit/nut combos and etc. Yes Pinterest had some ideas, too. Which is simply a handy way of keeping track of a zillion things you might want to remind yourself to do sometime. Just looking at it is overwhelming...just a warning! Both inspiring and mind boggling...how would one find the time to implement some, makes me wonder...! Yet, occasionally, I do, and Mindy does a little more often.

    ReplyDelete