Thursday, October 18, 2012


 Love Notes 

Homecoming - Midair

When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.


PRETTY IN PINK, Chandler, AZ


Few people have the wisdom to prefer the criticism that would do them good, to the praise that deceives them. 

Francois de La Rochefoucauld 


Sandwich every bit of criticism between 
two layers of praise. 





Saved for a Rainy Day



















“In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.”


- Mignon McLaughlin


Strings Attached

 And the moonbeams kiss the sea: -
What are all these kissings worth,
If thou kiss not me?

~Percy Bysshe Shelley, Love's Philosophy
















The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. 

Norman Vincent Peale
Throwing Gravel, young Nick at Western Trail Crossing
Fashion Statement

Straight off the presses
A shy bird alerted
Then swiftly she flew away,

And what was the scoop
From barbed-wire perch
She thought so important to say?

Well, open your eyes
And also your ears
'Cause Autumn is dressed for the day!

For leaves on the trees
Gold crowns are bees knees
And Beige is the new black, you can see.

For Robin what's in
Is the same reddish tinge
Though somewhat more sleek and thin.

All black for the Crows 
Some, a blue satin chose
That appears in their evening clothes. 

The Water said I
Am reflecting the sky
But covered in jewels she is.

Sky blue is the rage
Greenish blue for the Sage
And for Aspen, no fashion; just a musical phase.

These are the things
An autumn day brings,
In the song the tiny bird sings, though little she had to say.

















“It hurts to breathe because every breath I take proves I can't live without you.”




7 comments :

  1. Hello dear sister! I especially love that first quote. I think of it as a huge hug. Wow. And what a fun poem! I am always so impressed by your writings. I really hate criticism. I am not against kindly given advice though. Or someone who points out a need that does so with love in their heart. I am thinking of you and wishing that we were together today. Huge hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thanks for thinking of me. It turned out to be a good day. Made good progress at the rental. Could have done better in the office. Tomorrow. After I resigned myself to just a walk today, I went 6.75 miles, and enjoyed it. The result was the poem and I'm glad you liked it. I know poetry isn't your favorite, so that means a lot to me. I'm not fond of being criticized either. Who is? But there is sometimes some real benefit in it. I would rather have helpful feedback than to go about my merry way doing things incorrectly, and I do have a long history of being corrected. Sometimes those who correct us are oh, so wrong, but how do we know for sure, and what do we do about it? I have little respect for people who are being judgmental out of habit without thinking things through. On the other hand, an encouraging mentor is priceless. I have had a few and am very grateful.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, fall! We have leaves EVerywhere in our yard, thanks to our many many trees, all deciduous. My favorite time of year and I loved your descriptive poem about it. One I can certainly identify with - maybe that's why we like it so much. Great job.

    Hmph. Criticism. I'm great at giving it out. Would like to have a better spirit about it, rather than out of "habit" like you were talking about in your comment. Most of the time it's only those closest to me who hear my criticism though. The rest of the time the thoughts are just zooming through my head. Not especially helpful. But I've also gotta say life's a work in progress and I have made a lot of it in the years I've had so far. Haven't we all?

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. LW, ha. This week I think I learned a little lesson. It would appear that some people need to be handled much, much more gently than I supposed. The tiniest nuance in ones voice can make a difference in whether you are heard or blocked. Wow, eh? Still learning. I guess I'm in the process of revising how I look at some people, and what I see. Challenging? Yes, very much so. How nice if people came with a cheat sheet! I feel like I've been extremely slow in this area, because it is a surprising lesson, one that I thought I had learned, but turns out only partially and not particularly well. Gentle Janis is the one who gets this one. Good luck to you. Hope to talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, got your phone message last week and tried returning it the next day but you must have been on the phone because it rang and rang and then I forgot about it since then. Goodness. I'm terrible! We'll connect ONE of these times.

      LW in SE WA

      Delete
  4. Hello dear sister,

    So enjoyed your blog again. Your fashion statement poem is wonderful. Don't forget I want a handwritten signed copy of that to turn into a bookmark.

    You are amazing with your writing and photos. I enjoy them very much and keep going back to look for comments too. Keep wishing more people would comment.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Will try to remember but you may have to remind me again. Sorry I couldn't produce another one today.

    Perhaps my friends and relatives need to have multiple choice answers: A. Speechless with admiration, or B. Terrified and convinced I have truly lost my mind, C. TMI or D. All of the above. Makes me glad for you and LW and Janis who are used to me, and are basically supportive and positive, not matter what I churn out. :)

    And I'm grateful to have readers although many are at arms length. Perhaps they need bifocals? Oy.

    ReplyDelete