Thursday, March 29, 2012

Springing







SAVINGS BY THE JAR
Budget: a mathematical confirmation of your suspicions. ~A.A. Latimer  






That day I got married, I had  a car, a few pieces of furniture that had been given to me, a total of $6.37 in my checkbook, and possibly fifteen cents in my pocket.  I suspect this was an unpleasant surprise to my brand-new husband.  I had worked part time for years, and full time for 14 months.  So what could have happened?  Clothes, shoes, rent and utilities, car payment, my half of the telephone bill, round trip tickets from Spokane to Billings.  A home-sewn satin wedding dress and bridesmaid dress, shoes, invitations.  My mom taught me how to balance a checkbook as soon as I got my first paycheck, but the savings part had completely escaped me.

I was broke.  Very broke.  And I quickly learned how it was done.  My first post-wedding shopping trip to Billings elicited shocked semi-silence and raised eyebrows.  Forty dollars for a pair of shoes?  I entertained myself with a shopping trip in Powell while he worked one Saturday morning.  Fourteen dollars for "dried weeds" for arrangements for the wall?  Seriously....I'd spent nearly all of his earnings for the day.  Well, I must say, i was learning.  Painful lessons, though they were.

When his paychecks started bouncing, he didn't know what to do, but I did...start a business!  Nothing to it, right?  Within three months we bought our own home, started a business and we were expecting a baby.  There was a lot of building going on in Cody but do you think we could manage to get a bid?   From April to December, we made $5,000 to report to the IRS.  The accountant advised him to find a job.

I found out what my husband did when he was worried.  He paced. The floor. In circles.  And he came up with a plan.  We became the owners of a lime green sewer cleaning machine, by which our bread and butter is placed upon our table to this day, although it's several shiny, new, sewer machines later.

His mom worked for an accountant and she came one Saturday to help me set up a bookkeeping system.  Double entry, by hand, back in the day. An evening class at the high school gave me a better handle on debits and credits.  Jerry planned to save 15% or more of our income.  Whew.  I really dragged my feet about the idea of a budget, and thought saving 15% was pushing it, but there was no winning that battle, so down to the penny we added income, subtracted expenses, budgeted our groceries and saved our dollars, month after month, until I got it, this saving business.  Four hundred to five hundred dollars per month on groceries, forty dollars for insurance, one hundred for utilities, and found great deals at yard sales on Saturday mornings.  Did without things we needed, so we could have a few things we wanted, and made our car last 10 years.

There was very little money to afford any extras, so we bought new work socks one month and a gallon of varnish the next.  We couldn't afford the mortgage payment, so we sold the house, made $10,000.00, sent 20% to Uncle Sam and invested the rest in a house in town with a rental unit next door, to help make the payment.  Along the way, we learned that some shiny brown tiles on a good sale, a new pendulum light,  and a couple sets of fluffy, yellow towels make a beautiful difference in a bathroom, but the perfect shade of blue paint is very hard to find.

 We started a remodeling project, and finished it to move into another house, and start again.Jerry said, I'll do whatever you want, if you are patient.  That was the fine print.  

Bought another house, lived in it, rented the old one, fixing up as we went.  Jerry learned electrical wiring, sheet rocking, and concrete work.  I learned how to rescue carpets, sometimes, paint without making a huge mess, usually, and clean a toilet to a shine every time.   So we bought another, cleaned up the smoke coated walls and ceiling, and turned it into a duplex.  Too busy for more houses, said I.  So we saved....$50,000 became $150,000.  I thought we should take some of the cash out for a family vacation but finally coaxed him into letting me spend $6,000 for a new kitchen.   The rest disappeared along with a recession or some such thing, big stock market adjustment.  But mainly we were happy, counting our blessings and having fun.

Then along comes a free offer...Millionaire Mind Intensive.  We went to Billings, or was it Denver, and learned.  How to budget more happily.  Yes, says Harv.  You must have a budget, a plan.  But to my great delight, that budget included some fine tuning:  10% to a play account, 10% give, 10% investment/financial freedom to build wealth, 10% Education, 10% Long Term Savings, and 50% necessities.  Love it.  Finally, some fun.  

Life is a dance...you learn as you go.


  
Ever notice how it’s a penny for your thoughts, 
yet you put in your two cents? Someone 
is making a penny on the deal! 
Stephen Wright






Money can’t buy happiness; 
it can, however, rent it.

























Business is the art of extracting money from another man's pocket without resorting to violence. 
~Max Amsterdam~ 























At the Pump





                                                                                 


Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves." 
- Albert Einstein





There are people who have money
 and people who are rich.
 ~Coco Chanel~


5 comments :

  1. Great writing and photography! You've come a long way sister since that wedding day. How I remember those years you could barely buy beans to eat. I don't wish that back for you. I don't think I've learned my money lessons as well as you. Good job.

    Your savings by the jar photo looks like a special lighting effects result. LIKE!

    Next Thursday...another job interview at another winery. Will go for information gathering if nothing else.

    Day off yesterday and today. Babysitting grand girls and getting house ready for first rental of the season.

    Never a dull moment though I do wish for some.

    btswdnwabioti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and one more thing. Back in those days the long distance phone charges were not something to be fooled with so we didn't get to talk much, but we did write letters which has gotten to be a thing of the past.

    brswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there are blogs by which people keep in touch. Thanks for your comments. Picasa is offering some new editing tools,but perhaps you haven't had time to notice, and I did use the flashlight for the savings by the jar picture. The light is golden, and worked fine this time, but I need to find a flashlight that isn't too bright, isn't too dim, and isn't too yellow. One that's just right!

    Busy weekend here, too! Glad you have time with your grand girls. Would love to see them! Are you staying in the camper this weekend? Such a lot of work...glad I helped you, so I have some idea! Wonder how you do it all, my dear. Good luck with that interview! Thanks for the phone calls this week! You can keep doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes. Budgeting. Saving. I am SOOOOO glad for my examples in both good habits and bad habits that have shaped our own plan. Which makes us quite comfortable. What is missing is some growth (investment), and that is the next step we are choosing to work on. Our plan is somewhere around a very conservative 5-10 years. Possibly would have hopes for sooner BUT, my goodness, life's unexpected occurrences have helped me learn to take things a little slower... If I plan too far or too fast, one of those things comes along and messes it all up again anyway - *read* CHILDREN. I admire you for making progress during your "raising young children" years! We slowly are too - I suppose it's easier to see when we look backwards. LW in SE WA

    Oh, and totally off the subject of your blog here: MOM?!? Another interview, hm? Interesting, I'd like to hear your story behind that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree...waiting to hear more on that interview, been thinking about you, Sis. You kids are doing so well! Too bad we tend to like a little more "excitement" around here, because we could have done much better with a little more of the boring kind.

    ReplyDelete