Thursday, March 22, 2012


Vitality

Great men are they who see that spiritual is stronger than any material force - that thoughts rule the world.



"Take time to pet the kitty..."

The Evening 


And the Morning

...were the first day of Spring!

Aha...I thought there would be more winter, but 55-65  degree weather
for a week just about had me fooled.  Just about.  I was highly suspicious we
 had more winter coming.

Noun1.vital force - (biology) a hypothetical force (not physical or chemical) once thought by Henri Bergson to cause the evolution and development of organisms
biological sciencebiology - the science that studies living organisms
force - (physics) the influence that produces a change in a physical quantity; "force equals mass times acceleration"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc. 


            vital force

                              noun
                          the force that animates and perpetuates living beings and organisms.



"I urge you to practice acting in spite of fear, practice acting in spite of inconvenience,
 practice acting in spite of discomfort, and 
practice acting even when you’re not in the mood."T. Harv. Eker  

Winter Hangs On



Yay for the Dump Run! Yikes, got an ow-wee from a sharp piece of tin.
Inside Work~the area being built for a laundry hookup.
(Taking more time than anticipated, as usual.)





Lenience will operate with greater force, in some instances than rigor. It is therefore my first wish to have all of my conduct distinguished by it.
George Washington



Okay...thinking about this statement.  What did he mean exactly?  
Aromatic Basil
      Had a visit with my daughter this week about eating.  Because I'm a mother, my kids' nutrition has always been my business, and while there's not much I can do about it these days, I am still very concerned. When she's been training for a marathon, she is aware of "tasting" a meal that she's eaten 4 days before.  The stress of running is nicely balanced by the great endorphin's, the result of accomplishing a sufficient level of effort, when your body relaxes with a sort of "ahhh!".  How much better when combined victoriously with healthy eating!  The goal!  Ahhh!

        Jerry loves ice cream and has a bowl of it every night, and it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on his weight. In fact, he's taken his belt in three notches in the last couple of years which is completely annoying!  Sometimes I think if he gets a treat, I should too!  He tries to help by reminding me that I don't "need" a snack.  Having been a child who experienced some "food battles" at the table, having someone tell me what to eat leaves me slightly out of sorts!  "I do it myself!"

        Food battles are still on! One of my kids is listening, and two of my kids expressed strong opinions about so-called fad diets, both skeptical and negative, translating to NO support for the Paleo Diet from them.  I understand skepticism.  I'm quite good at it myself.

      Food was a battle in our house, one which my dad usually won.  Mom was often weighing in at TOPS or Weight Watchers, while Dad served milk shakes, adored homemade bread and rolls, and at the table insisted we eat what was served.  Our taste buds were "refined" as children's often are, and we weren't open to much variety, and definitely turned up our noses at healthy food.  I don't suppose that gave Mom and Dad much confidence in our choices.  

     Having our own homes changed that.  My sister and I were both the chief cook, so we had to expand our food repertoire.  Betty Crocker...how many "mom in the kitchen" daughters has she taught to cook?  Can't blame Betty Crocker for a monochromatic spread of  pasty, pale biscuits, and grainy homemade macaroni and cheese casserole that I served one evening.  It was just that I had been through the cookbook and was running out of new ideas, after three weeks of cooking every day. Eventually bought a Natural Foods Cookbook. Bean-stuffed Eggplant sounded interesting, but we could hardly eat it.  There are other recipes these days.  Love Cooking Lite.  It's not always "Lite" but almost always good.

      Then my sister started cooking really new things, gourmet style food, beautiful dishes with elegant presentation and, to my mind, expensive.  She lost me there. I wasn't ready for goat cheese, arugula, and Brie. Especially when my kids wouldn't eat it and I didn't know how to pronounce it!

     I settled on some tasty favorites, like tacos, and hamburgers and fried chicken, and found recipes for a few things we liked in restaurants, Spagetti Carbonera Magdalena, and Chicken  Vernonique'.  Jerry wasn't a meat and potatoes type of eater, but loved casseroles and chinese food, especially Sweet and Sour Pork, and Lemon Chicken.  I like Mandarin Beef and Rice Pilaf and my mom's Soy Glazed Chicken.  I began experimenting with soups to save grocery dollars, and learned to eat Split Pea Soup, and to tolerate Ham and Bean Soup and to pass on Lentil Soup. I fixed chicken doused in flour and fried in shortening, southern-style with potatoes and gravy, then using the leftover meat in a stir-fry, and finally cooking the carcass for Chicken Noodle Soup.  Imagine the satisfaction of extending a $4 chicken for three meals for five people! 

       I was becoming more uneasy about warnings we kept hearing about prepared foods, and I didn't want my kids eating things that might have unpleasant hidden surprises, so I made the bread for sandwiches and baked from scratch and cooked our own meat.  I tried to master cinnamon rolls like Grandma, but it was one failure after another, besides they dried out too fast.  I gained "fluff" that I didn't want anyway, so gave up on cinnamon rolls.  We ate whole wheat homemade pancakes with butter and syrup every morning.  I'd never been at my ideal fitness and weight, and I was always "dieting", mostly with little real success.

      Then we went to Europe, and I discovered chocolate.   I started a quest for the perfect piece of chocolate, and despite plenty of effort, I have yet to repeat the tasty, mouth satisfying, zing of truly great chocolate.  Thinking that somehow the smooth melting of the perfect piece of chocolate, if I could find it, will somehow relieve the pressure of an emotional emergency, the quest became an act of repeated disappointment!  Telling myself that a reasonable substitue will suffice, I reach again and again for chocolate, melting many different brands on my tongue like a wine connoisseur.   It works...at least for a couple of minutes, until the super-duper guilt trips appear.  How is it I don't remember that part when I'm indulging?  I heard about Krispy Kreme Donuts. Their stock was soaring, business was growing, and I had to try one and see what the fuss was about.  Well, sure enough, they were pretty good.  Soon I was indulging every time there was an opportunity, over my husband's derisive heckling, and thinking it was a trend that couldn't last.  Too many unhealthy calories.

       I did  a type of Zone Diet while doing Crossfit, and that went great for awhile. Can't eat donuts and do Crossfit, can you?  Jerry is very interested in any information I can share with him when I learn new things. I can talk for hours and he'll listen and implement almost any new idea.  The latest "new idea" that we are discovering has to do with genetically modified food, an issue that I'm finally taking seriously. This topic comes up in conversations, and there are plenty of highly uneducated, mostly unbalanced opinions.  I recently downloaded Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis on my Kindle. His experience indicates that genetically modified wheat is causing a lot of problems for people.  Well, that's pretty straightforward. right?  So what's the problem here?

   Eating tacos with a wrap of lettuce leaves instead of a soft, white, tortilla shell tastes clean and good, and makes me feel better afterwards. Okay, it might not be that old familiar, warm, soft shell.  I just have to deal with it. Leaving the bun off the hamburger eliminates the bloat and makes me feel victorious!  Don't miss it, except while I watch Jerry enjoy his.  I will endure those few moments and emerge victorious at the gym. I can make a salad in a jar, and cut up extra celery and carrots for my snacks when I put them in Jerry's lunch.  Something quick to grab and go...instead of making peanut butter and honey on a piece of whole wheat bread and downing it with a glass of milk because there's nothing easy and quick when I've been focused on my work all morning and didn't want to stop for lunch, and NOW I'm hungry.
     
           Recently I learned that when we want to lose weight, that we often think we need to get more exercise, but that what we eat is 70% of our problem, and exercise is 30 %. I also picked up the interesting information that in Okinawa, they practice Hara Hachi Bu, which means "eat until you are 8 parts full."   Eighty percent full.  I can do that.  Hara Hachi Bu.

    The best motivation is seeing my daughter struggle with food issues, and keeping up her running. She goes from getting up at 4:30 a.m.,  not having a lunch break during the day, to arriving home famished at 6:30 at night, to eating late, because preparing meals takes time!  She spends a lot of time with people she enjoys, and who can't live without sweets.. It's just a great reminder that I need to make my own decisions about what fuels my body, and what is good for me.  We can make choices. I can make the right choices!  I have...in the distant past, eliminated sugar from my diet.  Felt great.  Can do it again.



  


The desire to heal and the enthusiasm should be there all the time. The idea that "I can do it" should be totally eliminated from your mind. There is a time when you will feel secure with your knowledge, and that is the time when you start losing it.  GeorgeVithoulkas

http://www.vithoulkas.com/en/writings/2161.html
Baby Blue Skies of Spring

8 comments :

  1. Testing btswdnwtbioti (By the Sister Who Does Not Want To Be Identified On The Internet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've made sure the test worked right I'll add my comment.

    Thank you for calling and thank you for reminding me again to go look at the blog. You are such a good writer. I loved what you wrote about dieting and the food experience It is very similar to mine. I told (your brother in law) he will want to read this when he has a chance. He liked your idea to start a blog.

    Is it alright to send this blog link to my NH friend who blogs and my great friend KJ? I think they will like it a lot. Kj is like you in that she is drawn to healthy living books. She often shares really good things with me from those books.

    Well done! I like reading your thoughts and it’s a great way to spend at least part of my birthday.

    Love you heaps and heaps! I’ll talk to you Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My friend and your sis recommended your blog to me as I adore reading/writing them. She was so right! Loved the photos (some scenes would be foreign to me out here) and esp. the comment 1 post back about chaos b/c things are loved and ppl are used. Ever so true. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura we read your blog while waiting for our scechwan meal last night. Cute...really related to your chiro experience! Fun writing style for sure. Thank you both for your encouragement! Cara G has talked about collecting for her blog...thought I would be blotting someday. Happened sooner than I thought. I find it a little challenging.to get back to writing and feel too long winded this week! Not feeling very relaxed about. Writing yet. Still, good change of pace for my week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love reading your blog! So many of my past experiences put into your words! Love it! I still won't make meatloaf to this day because of being forced to eat it as a kid! And my husband loves meatloaf and would like me to make it for him! Love all of your pictures. You capture the moments! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been rather dismayed to find out recently, as you mentioned, that exercise is only 30% of weight loss. I don't LOVE exercise and could potentially use this as an excuse to just skip it. But it is still beneficial in many other ways, including GETTING OUT OF THE HOUSE, and FEELING STRONGER AND MORE ENERGETIC. Now to just address the battles with food for the other 70%. Thank goodness I was raised along the right path and have a good base to fall back on. Need to embrace it for myself and quit my rebellious ways (namely, eating treats whenever I want to). It used to not affect me but 3 pregnancies and 2 kids later, well, the body is not hiding those rebellions like it used to...

    Laughing out loud here - the eldest daughter of the sister who dnwtbioti :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tee Hee! I am enjoying everyone's comments.

    When I talked to you on the phone yesterday and commented on the neat photo of the sewing vignette above you mentioned it was a dark early morning and you used a flashlight and a long exposure. Great photo which I appreciate. It makes me want to quietly sit and mend. Fat chance that's going to happen.

    The morning photo of the mountains is unbelievably beautiful.

    Since this blog post is somewhat about food I have to tell you a story. I'm stalling because I worked hard all day and want to sit awhile before I start cleaning the house for an upcoming vacation rental...

    As many of you know I started a new job this week. It has been 23 years almost to the day since I was last employed. So this feels strange. Anyway the new job is at a local winery. We set out 5 wines per day to be tasted and if they are not used up within 3 days the staff can take them home. So I brought home about 2/3 cup of Cab Franc whatever that is. The young woman who is training me suggested that one when I explained I like to cook with wine and I would make a beef stew with it.

    So I stopped at Walmart on my way home and bought a tough beef chuck roast.

    During the day I was asking if anyone could describe the philosophy of the winemaker for this winery. He is in China on a marketing trip so it will be late next week before I get to meet him. Anyway the philosophy is to keep the wine simple in order to showcase the fruit from their own vineyards. So I took a page from his book and decided to keep the stew simple to showcase the wine. I sauted two large shallots in butter, cut the meat in tiny strips and dredged in (gasp) white flour and sea salt (that makes it better for you but probably does not make up for the white flour). I have a dried seasoning mix from Willow House called Tuscan Blend or something that has dried garlic. Then I sprinkled in some "Spike" a seasoning Eileen recommended. Sauted the meat, then combined everything in the crockpot with the wine and some water to fill the pot 2/3 full with liquid. Low heat for over night. Then into the fridge. We just ate it for the second night in a row and it was even better than the first night. I highly recommend this. Sally says this is the best meal she's ever had. 'Twas served over mashed potatoes and a side of carmelized onions. Yum! So now y'all gotta send me your recipes to use wine because it appears I might have a regular supply of free wine which I dislike unless it is in a recipe.

    Ben thinkin' of this quote from your blog today. I wonder...:

    Lenience will operate with greater force, in some instances than rigor. It is therefore my first wish to have all of my conduct distinguished by it.

    I think my younger kids are gunna love this. The older ones are gunna grumble about it being unfair.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all of you. The support does help. My 15th row (critic's row) is doing it's job...and making me a little uneasy.

    ReplyDelete