Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Here It Comes: 2014
Christmas Day ~ Sauce for Sweet and Sour Pork





Five Crowns

Pot Stickers






Christmas Past - A Memory



  Aunt Lois's Steamed Cranberry Pudding

 2 C. Cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 1/2 C. Sifted All Purpose Flour
1/3 C. Boiling Water
1/2 t. Salt
2 t. Soda
1/2 C. Molasses
Wash and drain berries.  Sift flour, salt and soda into bowl.  Add berries and dredge with flour mixture.  Mix with remaining ingredients and mix well.  Pour into a buttered double boiler and steam with cover on tightly for 1 1/2 hours.  Serve warm with the following sauce.

Vanilla Sauce:
1 C sugar
1/2 C light cream
1 C butter
1 t. vanilla
Cook sugar, butter and cream in double boiler for about 30 minutes; stir occassionally.  Just before serving, add vanilla.
Snack Tray Gift 

Ho-hum.  Just another Wyoming Sunset



 "We Had Seasons In The Sun."

And so another year ends, old and decrepit if we visualize the elderly gentleman with the overgrown white beard and sickle in hand. Three hundred sixty five days used up,  miserable, and on the verge of death by inevitability: the March of Time.  Twenty-thirteen, you were a learning experience in many ways, and for that we thank you. 

My holiday card included a one paragraph reference to the death of a young friend of our son.  In so many ways it deserved much more than that.  One event defined our year.  While not the conscious reality of every moment, one event more than any other pervasively and persistently shadows us.

One Saturday morning in September the sun rose as usual.  While most of us snuggled in for a few more hours of sleep,  two friends stood together quietly chatting and watched the day dawn.  It wasn't the first crisp and cool Arizona morning they had enjoyed together, but it was the last.  We were changed more than we can grasp over the course of that day, overwhelmed as we were.  One event, the unexpected death of a young man, a friend, a child, a brother, cousin and nephew is the wrapping on the package of our year.  It is not everything about our year but it does perfectly encase and represent  practically everything about it. 

It defines not only our year but also our future.  It shook our foundations.  We view and judge the importance of everything else past and present from a new perspective.   The hold we have on life seems more than a little tenuous.  Utterly conscious of a new level of reality, at unexpected moments we have grappled and gasped with the pain of loss, remembering.  And then, like the sun rises, we are left pondering again how very precious life is.  That knowledge makes all moments more poignant.

We grieve with our son.  We don’t push ourselves or him to get over it, but to get through.  We are aware that sorrow's work takes time.  We feel bereft but press on as usual, filling in the gaps.  We have grown up.   We feel responsible.  We live more consciously and hopefully less selfishly.  Moments pass heavily by virtue of something difficult to define.  

We carry a sense of responsibility.  Life, days, surviving - matters.  We carry the burden of reality, too.  The place they should be, now empty. We carry the burden of our grief and our friend's family's loss - if somehow our appreciation and respect for their beloved will help, perhaps miserable comfort.  We share the moments with them when we are beyond words - alive and lost.  Through that understanding we are sustained.

And that, my friends, is not a bad way to face a new year.  Sober and sensible.   Life marches up to greet us.  For better or worse we have awoken each morning to the light of another day. How precious, if painful, life is.  Each moment, really, has value and each day is a gift.  Even though we have spent so many moments mindlessly tending to our own desires, we know better.   We know that Twenty-Fourteen, while filled today with possibility and wishes for happiness, may hold sorrow for some.  We know because it happened to us.


Life then is a mixture of sorrow, hope, friendship, love, work and play.  Life is decorated by being kind and tender, by laughing and understanding, sharing and teaching – the moments we reached out, listened, helped, watched and felt.  Those moments of shared humanity and connection will be the moments that will have the greatest value a year from now. 

If granted life for another year of days by virtue of Celestial Decree, I want to fill them with friendship, gentleness, understanding, patience and strength - to have moments less defined by what I want, even with what I think I need – and more with sharing things like sunrises.

11 comments :

  1. Nicely written. Hard to come up with words to express the grief but you've done well on that. Like your ho-hum comment on just another Wyoming sunset. They are spectacular and I've seen too few in person. You food just looks so delicious. What a unique and wonderful Christmas dinner you must have had. Really like how you do food; it's not what I would usually think of but I like it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Such colorful photography. Love the close up of the plate with potsticker. You are such a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did enjoy our dinner (Jerry's request)! Apparently one Turkey Dinner per year is enough for him?! Dessert was delayed quite awhile, so that helped, too. We played Five Crowns and Patty won - first time! I was especially excited for her because she is a hesitant gamer and that isn't something I had done. Took me forever to catch on - Jerry thought he was really good, but maybe I was just really bad. We need to get in another round before Jane leaves for Oregon in a couple of days. The nice thing about doing our own S&S Pork is that we don't overcook it like sometimes happens at restaurants. Thought I had a picture of it but didn't happen, somehow. Handling grief is like the wild card in Five Crowns - some hands are just kind of rough going and there isn't much you can do except to try to manage the losses, while hoping for better luck next time. Thanks to LMW and LW for the game a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bonda. You did an incredible job of sharing about grief and the need to go forward with soberness and to share sunrises. Wow. And I love your "ho-hum" sunsets. And your photos. What a fun dinner that isn't ordinary. We had barbequed salmon for ours and that was a treat for several reasons. We had the ordinary turkey dinner the weekend before and between having done that and that Steve always cooks the salmon, it was wonderful. And delicious. Yours looked delicious as well. I am still valuing our time together. I want to share a sunrise with you. I would prefer Hawaii because it is 5 hours different from here and would be easier to achieve than Fargo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tried and true Chinese Cookbook that has seen me through several holidays. With only four of us at dinner we had more than enough food for several meals this week! So the effort of cooking was spread out nicely. No one objected to leftovers, thankfully, but the fridge was/is bursting at the seams, however. Doug is my traditionalist when it comes to holiday meals - and has made prime rib an annual event. I tasted salmon this week that was nicely done. I am still searching for the right recipe for us. I guess I need Steve's recipe! Not quite sure how to get myself to Hawaii for a sunrise, but it sure sounds worth doing. Since I haven't been there myself yet, I think I would be quite challenged if I were to attempt it sans husband! Fargo in winter was cozy, special and fun - Hawaii sunrises just might beat it all to pieces, especially with music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is comforting to read your tribute to your young friend. I love how you share your lessons learned. So gently, with compassion. I'm afraid sometimes I am too matter-of-fact about lessons learned. Maybe I haven't learned them completely enough yet.

    Today, Jan. 2, being the first day of 2014 in which I am completely free to do what I want (not that yesterday wasn't what I wanted, in fact it was, but planned well ahead), I am pleased to say I reached out to two people (so far) to help or to be a companion in their times of need. That is just so strongly what I want to do. And I did it even before reading this post. I am so glad that I have reached this place, even if it is just for today and tomorrow. The biggest reason for this feeling results from Bonda having the grandgirls for 4 days!!! I am so privileged. Thank you Bonda!

    More on that note - possibly could I achieve a greater level of happiness and contentment by focusing on others rather than on myself? Hmmm. Better consider that some more. In 2013, my "goals" were definitely focused on improving myself. In some areas, I succeeded; in others, less so. In 2014, I think I will take a different tack. This year, my goal shall be to extend myself to others, in many ways, but with a special focus on prayer. As I read back on the ending of your post, I see that you end with the desire to share meaningful experiences with others as well. I think you put it much more eloquently than I am doing at 7 something this morning!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! We are headed to the store as we are all out of most dairy items and I know we won't go long without requests for cheese and milk. Love everyone's comments, Janis, Monika and LW. Bring on the comments. They are so inspired...especially in this post. Well done Monika.

      Delete
    2. Hi, LW. Thanks for your amazing response. I love the saying that those who bring sunshine to others can't keep it from themselves. Agree that reaching out can be rewarding and that concentrating on ourselves seems to be a bottomless pit. It goes with the territory, a first world problem, I suppose, as selfishness seems to predominate our culture in too many ways. When a life was tragically and very suddenly cut short, the little grudges we were carrying instantly took on a new look - they seemed downright silly. It was easier than usual to set them aside with such a wake-up call. While it's true that there are plenty of needs all around to be met, the most needy among us are very wounded. Their needs are really beyond us to fully meet with our own responsibilities! They simply need more than we can give. Professional help recommended! However, I love your noble purpose and hope you can find a balance that brings you joy this year!

      Delete
    3. Yes, there is certainly a danger when somebody wants to take more than we can give. Luckily the people I'm thinking of are hesitant to admit need in the first place, in which case I think I'll be safe. I agree that I can't do it all and think I will be able to do it with the right balance. It is so rewarding to make a difference in someone's day by just reaching out a bit. I realize that some needs I am aware of, and some I am not, but everybody has some sort of need. I am working on bringing more compassion to my relationships and enjoying the results of my feeble efforts.

      Love LW in SE WA

      Delete
    4. Wise beyond your years, as usual. I foresee a good year.

      Delete
    5. Thank you for your reassurance! I could certainly use a better year than I feel I had last year. It was okay, without any major catastrophes, but plagued with continuous irritations. That what comes of being selfish. Anyway, for 2014: So far, REALLY good. With everything that has gone on in the last 5 days, it kind of feels more like a month, but in a good way. Just came from a wonderful New-Year themed gospel meeting that really went along with my/our thoughts, I felt anyway.

      Love LW in SE WA

      Delete
    6. Wow to all of you. My comment is to second Monika's comment...wise beyond your years.... Also Monika, I just so enjoyed our phone conversation. I'm smiling and ready to go about my day. Thank you my strong and wonderful sister.

      Delete