Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ship Shape




Adamas ~ My Girl ♥ My Inspiration

She gave the directions for our workout on Thursday morning in the fitness center of our hotel before we left to go shopping. Twenty minutes of cardio.  She chose one of the treadmills, Lisa took the bike and I used the elliptical   Surprising what a difference in motivation that warm up made.  Then she led lunges with lateral raises.  Since I came home I learned that my half circle driveway is 45 lunges long one way.  How ever many I did, plus the other stuff made me notice the next day whenever I sat down, a good, happy sore. 

The shopping trip was planned with high anticipation for our last day in Greece until we got the news that it was a full-fledged bank holiday and all the shops were going to be closed.  We could hardly believe such a thing, so we took the bus to downtown Athens anyway, hoping against hope to find stores open, only to peer mournfully in shop after closed shop window.  

Lisa had a couple of losses when something didn't come out of tee-shirt tops in the wash, so there was our excuse to do what girls do best.  I had picked up only two small gifts and a book on Milos, but it was a struggle to fit them in my already full black backpack despite repacking.  We laughed that Lisa had a nice neat backpack and ours literally looked like explosions had occurred when we unzipped them.   This was because with all the repacking, I couldn't remember where things were!  I was frustrated with trying to fit it all back in - short on patience, I admit.

   Mindy and Lisa had been discussing minimalist blogs and living.   They made scaling down sound like a rather merciless process.   An especially soft, frothy coral skirt ended up on the discard pile because the top that went with it was a little too tight in the sleeves.  I was starting to wonder if I needed to stand guard over my suitcase before they started in minimizing me!  Mindy's suitcase, holding almost everything she was taking to Ethiopia for an entire year, was quite a bit of trouble to move around so she was really having doubts about taking so many things.  We left it in Athens, fortunately, along with a few of my things in it while we went to Milos Island. 

I was considering getting rid of some dead weight, too, however.  At "only" 25.5 lbs. it did not take standing very long waiting for the bus or running for the ferry to feel like it was 50 pounds.  I just take things a little slower than other people. As I listened to their discussion I realized that every item in my bag was subject to scrutiny.  I tried rolling items because Lisa said her mom claims rolling is the best use of space.  Squeezing the air out of my garments didn't seem to make them weigh less, although it did work well for saving some space.  Long term value was measured against carrying it for the short distance from the shuttle bus through the line until I would hand my bag over to the ticket agent.  I sure didn't want to part with my yoga pants which I had carried the whole trip and hadn't worn once - too hot for Greek weather.  I sure did like the arch support in that pair of flip flops.  My jacket was the wrong choice because it didn't breathe well except for that one infamous boat ride.  The light denim shirt I left in Athens would have been handy for an island layer, as I had first thought.

It had taken some effort and a firm reality check from my husband to narrow down my shoe choices to four pair for two entire weeks and many possible activities.  Tennis Shoes or Vibrams?  Would we be biking more, hiking more?  My favorite flip flops - older but not obsolete - could be due for replacement and by the end of the trip, well, they were getting kind of hard to keep on my feet and I had noticed it more just lately, trying to walk fast enough to keep up with these gals.  After lingering around some scenic view with my camera, my calves screamed bloody murder as I gripped my toes to keep them on, hurrying to catch up with my companions waiting ahead for me.  Again.   

It must have been a case of when there is a will, there is a way.    While it wasn't the section of town I hoped to shop, the tourist shops were open.   Two pair of new sandals and a new bag for my camera equipment soothed my feelings of loss when I gave up the favored flip flops and heartlessly abandoned our 30 year old camera case.  Lisa, with her command of Greek, negotiated and everyone was happy.  After checking my bag, I had two hours or so to kill at the airport,.  Found the best gifts - all things I would like to keep!  Now to part with them  and share with family as I intended.


Fresh Figs -
New Favorite Fruit  

Action Figure
Did the Stairs.  Part of my Adamas workout.


Men of renown.  In reverse:  Mihales, Kostos, Paris and ? Jeri in background.


Mindy, Sofia in our tent.  Great lady.  Slept peacefully through
my afternoon yoga session at the head of her bed
while I worked through travel stiffness.  
Pollonia ~ Yoga on the Rocks

This was taken not far from our motel and there was only one day out of five, Saturday,
 that the sea here was calm.  This area was transformed into a tropical beach with
people enjoying sun-bathing, paddle ball games and swimming.


8 comments :

  1. Love the photos. Don't much like the part of the story about minimizing. Just don't like that much. Those flip flops have been around awhile. Sorry you had to part with them. Maybe you could share a detailed list of what should have been brought on the trip plus what was along that worked. Hindsight is usually clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the cutest picture of the two of them during the minimalist discussion. I can't post it because of a pact Lisa insisted on, and she was in her jammies, but sure do wish I could. Anyway, I'm not a minimalist, although I adore Tiny Tumbleweed houses, so would think about giving it a go. The problem would be space for my creative things...how to narrow it down! It was interesting to learn that one person counts all of his possessions. 75 items. No more, and if anything comes into his possession, something must go out. This includes his technology. I didn't feel under any pressure to go minimalist. My list? I'm no expert on this, but yes, can tell you what worked and what didn't for me, and yes, hindsight is much more clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I so remember doing this when I was backpacking in Europe. I still remember some of the items that I left behind. And waiting until the last day to buy souvenirs. Fortunately on my trip or maybe unfortunately, the stores were open! Now, I would like to minimize more, but it is hard to let things go. I like my things! I need lessons in minimalizing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so wishing I had picked up souvenirs in Adamas! Cute little blue glass items I didn't find elsewhere, but they were trinkets and I couldn't see the sense of adding trinkets to your life! Ha! Sorry now.

      Delete
  4. I admire those that can minimize so well. However, I am not one of them either. I also don't like carting around heavy bags so I see the problem. Amanda heads out to college in the morning with two suitcases and a carry on. It sounds like Mindy went with less. Can we see the cute photos in person some time? I loved the photos here, as well as a tidbit of the trip. I regret that our conversation got cut short the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered what Amanda would be carrying...all this packing and flying sure made me think about her doing the same. Mindy had a rather huge duffle bag and she had teaching supplies in it along with a coat, and a neat stack of clothes about 12" high, and six pairs of shoes. Lisa donated a couple of things and that tightened it up. It has rollers, but no frame/handle, just a loop, so it sagged in the middle. Quite awkward to move through Athens and the Airport! She went through everything one day when we couldn't find her retainer, and went through it another day to see what she could leave behind! It turned out there was very little she could get rid of and the retainer appeared in the pocket of her smaller day-pack.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for my silence on the last several days' posts. We had our anniversary weekend without kids so didn't even turn on the computer :) I read them all yesterday and today, however, and still enjoying each and every account of your trip!

    Maybe I am better at minimizing than some, but definitely still room for improvement. I think my biggest problem is that when I start getting rid of baby items and clothes, I need them again. So, no more. Keep the clothes, no more kids???? That is a compromise I can make. All my "extra" is very well organized, so maybe that helps make up for it too.

    Trips are often made to donate to thrift store. Much gets thrown out. We made great progress this last weekend without kids to add their 2 cents.

    However, I can hardly imagine an "on-the-other-side-of-the-world" trip. I want to be prepared for everything! Who knows if you'd be able to buy what you needed if you didn't have it, etc. etc.

    This week, planning Labor Day weekend camping trip. Another one of those - be prepared for everything - outings. But we are hauling the camp trailer and using Lyle's new pickup (!!!) with a bed cover so should be able to cram LOTS of stuff in. Haha! A lack of room will be no excuse for having left anything behind.

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed you! Glad you're back. You and Mindy are legendary among us for keeping "stuff" to a minimum, that's for sure. I think it's important to keep it organized in order to justify having things, so you have it to share or use as needed, and that is where I don't feel very "on top of it". I may have it, but may not be able to remember where I last put it, and that is kind of depressing!:( I work on it, though! poco a poco. So your mom may have had the kids for the weekend? Nice break for you. Congratulations on the new pickup! Wow!

    ReplyDelete