Friday, August 23, 2013

Had Enough Yet?

Located three blocks from the Athens apartment Lisa uses when she is in town.
No a/c, fyi.  Spent two nights there, and the second one was a story all by itself.

  A great big rock stands in the water to the left..
Mindy and I chose  the rock for our destination while the wash was in - a good  swim workout.
...

Wind Store.  Free Wi-Fi.

Temple of Zeus.

The Corner, aka the second Malfunction Junction I know.  

Indicative of the general state of traffic and in addition to the heat, why we did not bike in Greece! See that blue sign? This centralized location in Adamas, or Adamantas,  - the bus stops where that man is standing -  is 10 km to Pollonia to the right and 5 km to Plaka straight ahead by switchbacks which territory the bus claims to its complete extent to make the corner.  

We saw just one accident from our bus but whatever ran into it destroyed the car.  Two lane roads and city streets don't have shoulders and are really half a lane each, built before city buses were designed perhaps.  The cars park on both sides, using the sidewalk for parking wherever possible. This often turns the road into a one lane passage or at most, one and a half.  There was a lot of give and take, and while buses seemed to have priority, they were also considerate of other drivers and remarkably patient.  Schedules wasn't quite as loose as the internet led me to believe.  The ferry lifted its ramp right on time.   

Walking on the sidewalks, though, required flexibility as we wove our way in and out between cars and street traffic. Interesting job the servers have, waiting tables across the street from the restaurant where we ate our dinner beside the sea, and dodging traffic in order to get the food served.  Mindy resorted to walking on top of the wall, leaping over the openings where you could walk down to the sea, but it was not a requirement.  After the initial concerns we felt moderately safe despite the lack of restrictions and began to wander about like everyone else. The Greeks must be fairly relaxed as a whole.  I remember only hearing horns once and it was at this corner.

Going through the streets of Plaka by bus, we encountered a small sedan double parked.  As we approached the bottle neck, the driver appeared from a doorway across the street, keys in hand and hurriedly backed out of the way.  Another time it required the driver of the car who was attempting to use the same street to back up into someone's driveway in order for us to pass by.  We were bigger than he was by quite a bit!


Some snazzy restoration work.
Mars Hill

Athens from Mars Hill with the Acropolis to the left off screen.
The First Olympics Stadium



9 comments :

  1. Um, no! I have not had enough yet. Love this. Love the photos, the stories and now I am headed to my room to read about Mars Hill in the bible so I can brush up on what happened there. I think it was not good. I can hardly believe you two swam to the big rock out there. That looks like a long way. Good thing I didn't do that, you'd have had to rescue me. Is the bike one you rented? It's a neat photo too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. The Big Rock was a great goal, but salt water is very buoyant. Not great to swallow or taste, but lovely for swimming.

      Delete
  2. We had a study with Lisa that night, back in our room. Acts 17. The chapter became much more real and fascinating after having just visited the sight and the museum. Our friends were exhausted and could hardly keep their eyes open. I felt for them - and leaving in early the next morning, too. They were champs! We did not end up renting any bikes because of the heat and traffic. This bike was next to a basket ball court. Their boys had played basketball all over Greece but by-passed this game going on so we could get supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On to read Acts 17. I am so fascinated by all of your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still want to hear so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to think about this trip! Such a luxury vacation, as one only gets a few of in a life time. Quite the opposite of my current travels and funny to think of them falling so close to each other. Mom, I'm glad you've taught me to enjoy the luxuries and fun in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We played well but could have done better! I wasn't sure what Dad would say - he just asked for the total and how long it will take me to pay it off. :) He did say that he thought we were going bike riding and that didn't appeal to him very much. He said he would have gone if he had known we were going to have so much fun. I know him - parting him with his money is just about as fun as writing a textbook in four weeks.

      Delete
  6. I'll have to fill in on the scuba diving trip. One of my favorite days :-). Wasn't mom's favorite day as she was recovering from the previous day's boat ride over 30 foot waves for 2 hours. Exhilarating and sickening. I can't believe all of the fun things we packed into a week on Milos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be my guest. I enjoyed hearing about your scuba diving trip and am slightly jealous and sorry I didn't get to go down, but it just seemed impossible that day. I tried to relax but my stomach wasn't cooperating. After he told us we could vomit in the mouthpiece I was somewhat reassured, but it was just too much with all the other instructions, and Elliot didn't think it was a good idea to dive with sea-sickness/disorientation - um- terror? The aired-up vest and huge flippers were the final straw.

    Those waves are etched in my brain at this moment. Instant recall. The captain knew his business. It was a blast - I wish I could have enjoyed it more. I was pretty impressed with your moral support. In the end, it just wasn't quite enough to keep me from losing my cookies, I guess.

    ReplyDelete