Tuesday, August 27, 2013

ONE MORE STORY
Adamas - Cutest Boat

(Picture taken  while sitting at our table in a sidewalk restaurant.)

Adamas, again. 
Kleftico

At the Bus Stop, that's where.  Where did you think we were?


At the Acropolis



A Pretty Red Convention Rose



Meanwhile, back home I had a husband who has not been on vacation for the last two weeks. Instead, he was working through the summer heat without a break, painting containers and making evening container deliveries and pickups in addition to trying to handle the monthly billing and a few glitches that appeared in my absence.  Let's just say he was more than a little overwhelmed but handling it very graciously. 

I arrived and had every intention of paying the bills and doing bookwork, but he was dealing not only of back pain which he had endured throughout the course of several days, but also was miserable with a summer cold.  It was not surprising that he was in the general emotional range of slightly to very cross.  On Tuesday morning I suggested we take a break - and take our kayaks out on the Shoshone River.  So what happens next?   This was the gist of my email to Mindy with a few added details.

Dad and I had quite an afternoon.  Dad has been needing to take a break so yesterday he decided to postpone one appointment and take the kayaks out on the river for the afternoon.  I wondered how the going would be with perhaps a different water level than we had seen before.  

The directions were produced to seek the correct amount of air to fill the boats and in the process I read on to see that they don’t recommend using the rudder apparatus for white water because it is harder on the bottom of the boat.  So we decided to give it a try.  The boats do respond well to the paddle as you know.  

Anyway, had two dunks in the Shoshone, one at Coulter Falls when I got turned sideways and couldn't get it straightened, so a huge wave of water gushed, lifting me up and out, and another when I ran into a rock on an attempt to sideswipe it.  Instead it overturned and I ended up in the water with the boat on my head, but managed to grab a black seat strap and floated through the rapids with a firm grip on my boat.  Walked and swam over to the edge where the current was not quite as strong and after three attempts, got the boat turned over and me in it.  

Sent Dad to rescue the sunscreen that was floating away.  We lost two water bottles but found one floating…mine because I had drunk some of it.  My phone was along for pictures in a plastic bag.  Ineffective.  (Bag leaked.) So I had taken it apart and stored it in the side of my life jacket which is not water proof.  It’s drying out in rice and pretty sure it won’t survive two dunks, but we’ll see. 

I hadn’t fitted my helmet right, so it smashed down so I could not see, which did not help although it’s hard to see much when you’re under a boat, anyway.  The first time when I went over the falls, I was pretty overwhelmed by the whole experience and let my kayak go on without me once I got out from under it, hoping Dad would catch it but he got dunked too. 

Noticing that he was watching me as my boat floated by him, I said,  "I am okay, go get my boat."  I floated down the river in the current quite a ways, hitting rocks with my thighs most of the way.  There was no way I would have been able to fight that current. 

Watching him, I could tell going after my boat was not as easy as I thought.  The second time I got dumped, therefore, I grabbed something and hung on for dear life - the adjustment/fastening strap for my seat.  Guess we will have to really work to keep our boats straight without the rudders.  Anyway it made me kind of mad that I got thrown out.  

She replied that she thought we would have to use the rudders (skegs, actually), so the next trip out we took them along to put in just before the dam/Coulter Falls.  The river level was quite high and "thick" rolling green- we couldn't see the bright green vegetation growing under water, and the edges of the river were floating over the tips of the long grasses that were bent to the water's edge. 

I had been recalling in vivid detail my last dips underwater, fighting for air, swallowing part of the river, giving in to the current and all the bumps - feeling a little fearful as we drove toward our parking area.  Typically, I said nothing of the sort as we unloaded and aired up the kayaks.   Once we were on the water, however, I found smiles that kept bubbling to the surface, not that I could have explained exactly why. 

After installing the skeg, I asked Jerry to go first over the "dam".  He didn't tip over - even without his skeg inserted.   I paddled hard, aiming my boat across the current and at almost the last moment turning towards the main large wave, fighting to keep the kayak straight as the water swept me along into the highest crest.

I knew full well that it would take all my strength and determination to position my boat in time to meet the wave head on and only moments to find out if I could ride it out.  The kayak, with me in it, hopefully, would be standing on end as if headed for the depths for one heart-stopping moment. Then the trust of the wave met the kayak and the boat, instead of floating me out on a huge wave of water and flipping it over, rode right over the wave. 

After the big one, I fought the oncoming waves, jabbing hard and quick on either side of the kayak with my paddle in the effort to keep the boat straight for the rest of the rapid.   Did it.  There were a couple more rapids downriver that surprised me with their ferocity, but that makes it exciting. The river was different with this depth, and I don't know how it will go next time.  The river keeps you guessing.





Night is a world lit by itself.  


~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin




Let there be sunsets.

Mindy led us to Notos Studios in Adamas for our last two nights on Milos Island because the owner had been kind enough to answer a touristy question a few days earlier.  We enjoyed the peaceful view from the balcony and left the patio door open all night to cool our delightful room.  


6 comments :

  1. I had gotten some practice floating the Big Horn with my life jacket on. Because Doug and Bonita wanted Donovan to learn what his life jacket would do, we had floated the currents with him. That experience came in handy on this trip because I was confident and relaxed floating with my life jacket - no learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly awesome! I wouldn't have been so quiet about my nervousness. I am so proud of you! Great job on the successful "float" and for such amazing photos of Greece. I want to go. And you almost make me miss water rafting. Almost.... after a couple of YERY close calls, it lost some of its charm. Keep sharing! I have loved reading this treat to myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most pleasant surprise was that the water I swallowed tasted so good! Ha! It wasn't the salt water I'd been choking on in Greece when I breathed at the wrong time! Warm day, too, so being in the water was fine. Jerry was able to get his raft turned over easier than I did, though. That was annoying. I learned that for all he does for me most of the time, I was on my own and had to use my own wits getting myself out of this one! I was told that you can't fight the water. If you give in to it, it will spit you out, but if you fight it, you will lose. I don't think any of this came to mind at the time but I did know I had to go with the flow - after the initial panic when the waters flooded me out of the boat and swirled me around under water. That was a moment - very succinct, but the water was soft, familiar and fun! The danger is rocks and getting stuck between them or hitting your head. I just bumped a tooth, which was bad enough...on the second dip, not the first one, but it made me very aware of the danger I was in. When we headed out for the next trip, I knew I was having a case of nerves, so I needed to get back on my horse, so to speak, despite my anxiety. Glad that the feelings of nervousness disappeared after we started out. Nevertheless, facing the giant again was another moment. I could have gone around the rapid, but wasn't about to chicken out on the best ride of all - no way! And it was awesome!

      Delete
    2. I think you are mostly right about the river spitting you back out if you go with it, however, on the last trip down the Snake, one raft got in a bowl and couldn't get out no matter what, until another raft came along and changed the course of the water enough that they could get out by rowing for their lives. That one scared me a little too much. Stay safe but have fun!

      Delete
  3. Okay lady, you've scared me out of trying this river kayaking thing. I'll just be happy to read about your experience (since you survived it). I think that's called living vicariously. I love your photos of Greece and thoroughly enjoy living the experience vicariously through you. Thank you so much for sharing. It's quite a treat to read about it and see your photos.

    Really sorry Jerry was suffering through the two weeks you were gone. Made worse by being sick and having back pain. Check out Jusuru for the back pain. I started it almost two weeks ago and they suggested it might be 6 weeks before you notice improvement but I think I am already noticing an improvement in my back and knee pain. Might help your shoulder issues too??? Let me know if you are interested.

    I am amazed by the huge pillars at the acropolis or is that just an illusion? With Mindy in the background it looks like they are gigantic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He wasn't sick until the last few days and it got worse about the time I got home. Since I had jet lag and he had a cold, we were both worthless for a day or two. He thinks it is a sinus infection from the Yellowstone fire smoke, now. He went to see the chiropractor and is quite a lot better. But will be glad to hear what you are learning. The pillars are huge. I think that picture gives an interesting perspective, though. After our visit to Rome several years ago, I think the main impression is how did they do it. Still is. Have seen a museum depicting the elaborate rope strategy they used. They had some engineering skills.

    ReplyDelete