Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Haphazard Domestic Goddess


                                    Synchronicity

                        One little step lightly
                        Synchronized with the universe
                        In the unexpected movement.
                        A piece of the puzzle fits perfectly -
                        One musical note matched one step.
                        There is something new in my world
                        And suddenly I knew I had been waiting
                        For exactly that moment all day.
                        Through me there resonates
                        An awareness of delight
                        That was worth the wait,
                        Worth the wondering
                        And the wandering.


To the Finish 

       My main focus was bookkeeping this week - catching up on some procrastination of duty, getting organized for taxes.  How did I do? These pictures represent some of my breaks in concentration.  There were more of them than there should be, of course, but I did a quite a little better on my cooking this week, medium well on my workouts, and there were the usual pleasant distractions - lunch with friends at noon on Thursday and a couple of unplanned projects.  The laundry suffered a little neglect.  Two loads are clean but not folded. My husband is missing his handkerchiefs, so will have to buy more if the hunt reveals nothing hidden in the back or bottom of the drawer.  And I don't know quite how to rate my bookkeeping.  Kind of like a roller coaster, maybe.  There were some times when I did well and made a lot of progress, but other moments when there were just too many things competing for space in my brain, so for two days I got nothing done to count as progress in that department.

     
     As my gaze lingered long on the scattered beauty of the softy colored but jumbled contents of my armoire after a restorative nap, I wondered if the mixture would be captured well in a photograph.  It wouldn't hurt me to organize it a bit, but soft clothing doesn't lend itself to neat stacks.  I have a variety of containers, including some rectangular lined baskets in three sizes.  The smallest is haphazardly stacked upon the largest with a stocking hanging not very elegantly over the side, and a pair of light blue plastic boxes have a few bright pops of color peeping over the top.  If everything matched it might have a more orderly look, but when I surveyed the overall effect, it was kind of pleasing so I decided to leave it that way for now. Anyway, maybe it was just the soft light that gave it a nice effect despite that one very black stocking.  I should just shut the doors on the whole mess. Taxes are hanging over my head and no small task to fit into my regular duties.  I must keep bringing my focus back to the taxes.   


Lunch is Served 

Handful of spinach
Leftover chicken bites
Chopped cucumber and celery
Fresh Homemade Salsa
Large dollop of Pesto (see recipe below)
Small handful of pistachios


 

My Favorite Green Juice

Place in VitaMix or your sturdy blender and Puree:

1 Apple sliced
Large Handful of Spinach
Ice
1 generous teaspoon cinnamon
Plain Yogurt or Coconut Milk


High in Vitamin C

Stuffed Sweet Mini Peppers

1 cup cilantro
1 small garlic clove
2/3 cup toasted Walnuts
Small pinch Sea Salt
1/4 Cup parmesan cheese
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Fresh Orange Juice

Put all of the above ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree.

1 pound bag of Sweet Mini Peppers
8 ounces cream cheese or goat cheese

  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Leaving stem on peppers, slice and remove the seeds.
Fill each pepper with cheese.  Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with a touch of olive oil and bake 
8-10 minutes until peppers are tender-crisp.  Arrange on a platter and spoon pesto on top.




Homemade Salsa on the Fly

1/2 Onion
1/2 bunch Cilantro
3 Tomatoes
1/2 Green chili pepper
1 garlic clove
Sprinkles of salt, about 1 teaspoon if you are measuring.
Splash of lime juice, about 2 teaspoons.

Chop and combine or use a food processor to combine and chop, but go easy.  We aren't trying to puree this one.  A little chunky is okay.

I was out of lime juice so used a small splash of red wine vinegar, to taste.

4 comments :

  1. Tasty-looking recipes! Also good job on interesting photos. Seems like you have a good variety of activities going on. Keep it up. Slow and Steady wins the race :)

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, trying to tackle a myriad of tasks. My system did need a few tweaks and got them thanks to you and the Fly Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I know a thing or two about procrastination on the taxes and book work. LW will likely help me out of a bind in that area. Today and yesterday I worked at the winery. Not scheduled but good to get out of the house and win accolades from my team leader on a job well done. I cleaned the basement of the mansion. Looked sharp when I was done. Took 4 hours. Did not do the theater or theater lobby. But hands and knees washed the black marble floors. HUGE job and my knees, back, shoulders are feeling it. Also did some hard water clean up on the black sink. Needs more, but looks better already.

    Great photos, inspiring food and recipes. Fun to try new things isn't it? You do a great job of capturing it. Would have enjoyed seeing the appealing jumble of the armoire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go GIRL! That is some impressive work. Uh-mazing workout, too and while it makes me ache for you to think about it, I am inspired. Makes me wish I could give you a massage. Glad LW can help you with those taxes and desk work. I am still thinking about the armoire jumble. In retrospect I'm not so sure it is terribly appealing. I may have to stage it after all! Ha!

    ReplyDelete