Saturday, February 9, 2013


Song and Dance


Wings in the Afternoon 



If I were a dancer, I would dance with great passion.  Indian style has certain appeal - bending forward, moving with the rhythum of the drumbeats, with echoing war whoops - a childlike tapping over the mouth to sound more, oh, fearsome and war-like, with feathers flying. The play of children, in this case, resulted from the threat that if we didn't behave ourselves, we would be given to the indians.  This thought was especially provoking when we were driving by the reservation on the long but interesting trip which included a ride on the ferry, to visit an old friend of Dad's, Franz Vinion.

If I were a a bird, I would be an eagle, elusive and aloof -  bombing directly towards the earth at full tilt, beak first with focused eye, seeking relief from hunger.  The majestic bird was seldom seen, but as an emblem of our country, was a mysterious creature with super powers that sparked my imagination, and proud patriotism welling up, filled my heart.

 If I sang, I would sing in the shower with the water pouring over my face to wash away the tears and letting the water bubble into my mouth, muffling the sobs that rack my body, before composing myself with difficulty, and after that momentary distress, I would lather up with forced calm.  And if I was a star, I would march onto the stage and take charge of the whole mess, throwing all the musicians off the stage who think the notes have to be more perfect than passionate.  I’d pour out my soul for the loss; for time that passed into eternity right under my nose while there was nothing I could do about it.

I would weep right there in front of everyone, doubled over with pain.  The audience would never know the truth.  They would think it was an act, but the heart broken in so many directions and pieces, all the king’s horses and all the king’s men could never put together again. 

Then, abruptly, I would stop in the middle of it all, and I would look sadly at all the pieces and then pick up a dustpan and sweep them up like shattered glass, and slowly let them slide from the blue plastic scoop, lodging deeply into the garbage can with a quiet swoosh.   I would lift the bag out of the container and tie up the ends.  I would take it outside to the receptacle where, after inserting the bag, I would close the lid and secure the latch, decisive and symbolic.

Returning to the house, I would go on as if nothing had ever happened, mechanically washing up the dishes, as if my heart had never been in anguish, as if the songs that I sang were untrue, as if that hollow, empty place in my chest was not the life of me being ripped to shreds, as if my silent, gasping sobs really were depositing tears into the scented, soapy water of the sink where I am helplessly leaning, sapped of strength.  I would empty the dishwasher, absentmindedly place the silverware in the proper spaces, feeling like I'm the one being stomped underfoot by Indian war dances.  Bruised, broken, sad and confused. I would search on for a reason why.

For one moment when the music ends I would stand still, but the moment would pass and the audience would turn away, not knowing that I, bereft but blocking an escaping sob with the back of my hand, had embraced every tear they have shed as my own.  Every loss, each heart with a missing piece could have taken some of mine to make it’s own whole again, so what was left was just a jumble of patches and stitches and gauze bandages, the work of a child who practices medicine of the candy-pill style on a more-or-less sterile stuffed bear, using, to my mind, the all too real hospital toys -  syringes, a  pink medical pitcher and a surgical tray.

I am like the child that can’t bear to part with a filthy, ragged toy, but having no mother to sew it together, he tries to patch it himself.  Or maybe his mother tried, but the toy is so  loved and worn that there is hardly enough to salvage.  I wonder if maybe the mother's heart was broken in two as well, long ago.

Every so often, I remember a moment when she stood there in the cafeteria area of the Ronald McDonald house, a certain radiant child, my niece who although facing me, seemed to be unaware of my presence.  She was in the process of dying - but in those moments, completely and fully joyous, a tiny Master of Ceremonies at play.  It would have been difficult to believe she was in the fight of her life, because even though she was old before her time, not even four years in age, she was so vibrantly active.  Her feet were braced in a wide stance and she was surrounded with several running children.  In her simple homemade dress, a gift from a friend, her eyes sparkled with fun and laughter. As she tried to figure out how to run in two directions at once she seemed suspended, momentarily in a sort of quiet stillness, a moment in space.

Salted tears sting with memories.  Aware that acrid moisture is squeezing out from between the outer edges of my eyelids,  I embrace the familiar picture again, surprised it can still make me cry.  I could not tell her what she meant to me before she went on.  She, however, accepted that it was time to go, when I did not.  Perhaps she knew and put on one last show for me, in which she played the main part.  Perhaps she was just doing what children do - living each moment fully, embracing life; setting aside her pain, the suffering - none of it disturbing this event even for a moment.

I learned that God wins, not I.  Score: God 1, Me 0. Or is my score zero?  I learned that song was right - the heart truly cannot forget something like that.  The intensity of the pain waxes and wanes, at times feeling as if it is slapping me up against the side of the head just to make sure I remember.  I learned that allowing my heart to care introduces harshness, feelings that seem on the verge of violent.  Angrily, I sort of wish it was okay to break something.  Defiantly, I remember wise counsel and instead allow the TLC of friends' to comfort me and soothe the ache.

Life does go on, but in a new way.  I will be forever horrified by the outrage of childhood cancer and its ability to separate best friends.  My heart has been exposed so I have a new reality.  I am part of a select group now, those who have a gossamer connection to a beautiful, new world, where there are things to see; things too wonderful, so wonderful we would never look back. 


Cloud Bank


Cranky Goose
















Getting my Geese in a Row





9 comments :

  1. Okay, my dear sister, you got me to cry! Of course a good cry is helpful, but I didn't think I needed one. And then I had to cry when I read Norita's comment about meeting LW's plane. We all still miss that girl so much. Thanks for sharing your deep feelings of pain. You are so amazing. You have such a great way of expressing your feelings with words that I am in awe of. Thanks for sharing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I figure facing my feelings is the best way to deal with them. Getting it from feelings to words is a challenge and I wrestle with it, but knowing that we are all of the same human family, I do what I can to make that translation. I love remembering those little scenes, really all I have, although they were so poignant that even at the time the things I was observing made me speechless. Incredibly etched in my memory and forever so precious although others in the family have some even more unspeakable.

      Delete
  2. My goodness you are a good writer. You put words together in such a profound way which causes the rest of us share the pain. Thank you for your openness. This is one of the reasons I felt the pain of you moving so far away back in 1979. I had and still have difficulty putting words to it but suffice it to say your crying alone into your dishwater pains me.

    Thank you for sharing an experience you had with our niece I had not heard before. I often think of her and think about what age would she be now. The age of our youngest plus 4 is how I gauge it.


    The amazing strength her mom and dad have shown these past years in dealing with the loss is a recurring thought I have. I wonder if I'd have done so well as they?



    Warmth and love to you my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I point out that your Happy Family essay took the cake. I expect a writer blog to appear soon. :) No doubt it will inspire me. And what will Janis do? Still waiting to see her class work on the close to the heart issue she mentioned a few months ago.

      Delete
    2. Ah, you should have photo copied the Happy Family essay before you read it to the table full of family and workers when I was 10 or so. The original should have been locked in a safe. I was so embarrassed I ripped it to shreds as soon as I could. I remember you trying to keep it away from me but I had fire in my eyes and murder in my heart and was bound and determined to destroy it. I can't remember so much now how it went. Certainly it was not meant to be read in public but it sure entertained that table full of people. I think Mike H and maybe Dave W were in on that? The gist of it (in about my 8 year old child's handwriting) was "The Happy Family" but the text was full of our fighting and scrapping and wanting to get even with each other. Anything but happy! I remember people howling with laughter over it and I can laugh now but at 10 years old I WAS NOT happy. GadsZooks! A writer blog? I spent all day yesterday on the cooking blog. I've got to work sometime ya know.

      Delete
  3. May read this in a few weeks and not think it was so good. Anyway thinks look differently after they stew awhile. Yes E & E...admirable handling of sorrow. Liked what her mama said. Glad we had her for four years than not at all. Touched by an experience so devastating and going on is a process. Allowing ourselves room to grieve and heal, to realize we are not the only ones that feel it...all good to learn! Amazing to recognize my own propensity to be self centered even then. Some suffer long. Others suffer loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the happy family! That was so funny from my standpoint. It also confirmed that I was correct in believing that you were out to get me. There was something about giving me your suitcase because it wasn't good for anything anymore or something along those lines. A priceless piece of writing long gone. E & E are to be admired. She was a special little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious. I had forgotten that I was the betrayer and read that to everyone. It was fantastic. So sorry it has been destroyed, that didn't show much forethought on my part, did it! Yes, I think you were justified. It was the cute long natural curls, the dishwater blond hair that we tormented you about that I coveted. Not to mention your adorable personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried to recreate "The Happy Family" for Grandma's book all those years ago, in my handwriting, to the best of Mom's memory of what it contained. It is funny that we are talking about it again!

    Often think of my little cousin and I'm VERY glad for the times I had in Seattle with her and the family. Cherished memories.

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete