Thursday, February 14, 2013

Seizing the Day




A  Doe, a Deer



Horse Back Riders



Horse Feathers




















Pizza Salad


Be My Honey






                        


                                   What about love,
                              Like paper and lace,
                                  A telling expression on
                                        An innocent face,
                                           A heart full of joy
                                    For a funny faced boy
                                 What about love?

                              
                                Wish I could make life
                                      Just like that heart
                          Placed slightly off center,
                                    Wall collage art.
                                And blunt Cupid’s sharp bow -
                                       Where warm feelings now grow.
                         What about love?
               







                        After watching the above video that one of my friends posted on facebook today, February 14, 2013, I thought about how I like to go to an event with a friend.  I have been thinking about this because I had two choices today.  I could go to a concert with a friend, or to dinner with my husband.  Because of his work/time constraints, going to the concert with me was not an option.  I wanted to go to the concert because I know music is good for me.  One of my goals this year is to attend more musical events, and a total of 12, or one each month, is the general plan.  My husband said we could go out to dinner another night.  After discussing my choices with my friend, I chose to go to dinner with my husband.  Today is Valentine's Day, after all! 

     I remember when we went to a high school play in our little hometown, we always enjoyed the afterwards, when the effects of the previous ninety or so minutes lingered in our minds, and we talked it over in the car on the way home.
  
             What if we found something in this day, Valentine's Day, that accentuated our disappointment with something about life?  Some people call this day Single Awareness Day.  With a bit of zest, one friend noted that had her former husband given her flowers, some 30 years ago, it probably wouldn't have killed him.  I smiled a little, knowingly.  I remember her interesting sparkle, a contrary streak during our teens.  

         Why is the gift of life, perhaps, not enough when it should be?  What little disappointment or joy is taking the majority of my thoughts; affecting the look on my face, the tone of my voice on the phone, my posture as I walk down the street?  What messages am I sending today to the people within my realm of influence? What message is the universe getting from me?  And am I open to receive the message the universe is sending me back?  All around us, I think, there are messages, loving messages coming our way! How should we respond?
                      
                "Let the gratefulness overflow into blessing all around you." 











8 comments :

  1. And I was amazed! Happy Valentines Day. You are a good wife! I had a great afternoon with the hubby. We got a cute new desk for the guest bedroom for 1/2 off at Goodwill. I got a champagne colored stretchy pencil skirt that may end up being worn to a wedding. So we met at GW after school. Steve hadn't eaten yet and it was 2:30. I gave him a piece of cheese and we drove in one car to another GW where we found the desk. We could get it in the hatchback but couldn't close the hatchback all of the way. Steve rigged it so he could hold it in with one hand while I drove home. We were going to go out to eat, but ran out of time. I had to get meds for Jim before 5:30 and it was 4:45, so I quickly made supper and ran the errand, drove Steve back to his car in Silverdale and took off for Jim's and made it at 6:10. We shared a half of a See's chocolate bar for dessert in the car. A good day. I hope yours was too! Love your photos and writing. I havent looked at the video as i don't want to wake up Jim. JH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your great response. What fun to find the desk! These excursions sound like fun outings for the two of you. I've actually seen several articles in decorating magazines about couples who do this sort of thing all the time, and their whole house is furnished with a mix and match style that I'd love to be able to pull off so well! The latest one that caught my eye was a desk in a room that was mainly sea green, and the desk, which was placed in front of a window overlooking the bay, was painted hot pink! Talk about a fun zing! Thanks for the subscription to Coastal Living last year. Loved it, and congratulations on the skirt. Pictures coming soon via email, I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning ! Great blog again. I like all of it. Your photos, captions, poetry, prose, video. Great job. Lovely thoughts. LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a good Valentine's Day. And congratulations for choosing the dinner with your hubby. Would have been my ultimate choice as well... But I understand the dilemma!

    My husband may actually have two days off this weekend! Maybe we'll celebrate then...I have a hard time getting my hopes up though. The realist in me. Fact is, life is unpredictable so who knows what will stand in the way of a celebration - like last night's last minute emergency that meant he had to work an extra two hours. Not to mention I let the kids have their Valentine's treats and they were bouncing off the walls all evening (not conducive to relaxation or romance). And the icing on the cake - I completely wore myself out at the gym in the morning and by the evening had a nagging headache and so we went to bed early. Groan. At least I made him open his Valentine's treat from me, but we have not yet indulged.

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was the bad news. Hope there is more to this story! Ha! Or was it like Jerry's birthday. I was away, and it didn't happen, but we finally got our romantic dinner for Valentine's! And I found a purple dress shirt at Costco that he likes, so little by little I am trying to make up for that flub. Now for a new tie to add to the amazing selection which is apparently so vast that he can't find his way through it. I tried weeding it out within months of our wedding. He is a keeper, and apparently so are his clothes, since that didn't go over so well! We've decided we need a system to match his clothes, colored dots or something...this goes with these pants, and this tie, and his favorite cowboy boots that he doesn't get to wear often enough...anyway, I'm only SLIGHTLY overwhelmed. I guess I need to lay out the Sunday outfit on Saturday to avoid the last minute rush.

      Delete
  5. At your urging I spent an hour and a half writing today. I'm not publishing it on a blog though it will be material for an ebook in the future. Thanks for continuous inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, well thanks for telling me and then not letting me read it yet! Was it fun or funny or sad, frustrating? Recent or memories of years ago? Worth your precious free time to sit and write again? Was it cathartic?

      Delete
  6. Well now that you ask I better go back and read it myself. It's been a few days and I can hardly remember what I wrote. But usually it is the events of the day or previous day. Not cathartic, just guilty for further delays on what I SHOULD have been doing. I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete