Friday, November 16, 2012

Fifth Sense




Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce. 

~Vivian Komori




Life is a parable.
As I see 
The world,
I am.











When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum. 




The Search


We opened the doors
And threw up the sashes
And what to our wondering eyes
Should appear but...

Where are the screens
Of these recently installed windows?
Their distressing absence is noted
And dollar signs flash
Through my mind,

But major things first
And that's not in the rhyme.
By the odor I smell 
This is the scene of a crime.

Where are the bodies?
We got rid of the crooks
But week after week
We searched and we looked,

For that odor, the reek;
The groceries, dead mice,
Through the mold in the fridge,
The bag of spilled rice.

Bags upon Bags
Are discarded and stored
Shoes that are single,
And clothes by the score.

The drawers are a wreck
Not a toy is intact, 
And the dishwasher dent 
Is a sight and a half;

Is there hope for such children
When the carpet was trashed?
Still the odorous plight
Remains high on the graph.

We put up new walls
We wash and we paint
We clean and we scrub
And the smell is not faint.

New cabinets, new counters - 
And even more paint
But opening the door to feed
My husband the saint,

He works into the night;
Yet the odor's a fright
Where could it be,
Whence comes its great might?

New rock by the sheet, 
New window trim
Yet my nose is offended, 
I tell him again.

New cabinets are placed
There's new trim at the base;
And tile installed and
Perfectly spaced.

The stove is going
The carpenter said
I agree and assess
A new oven instead.

And then by chance
Tugging open the door, 
Which teeters and tips 
In my grasp and behold,

Within the confines
Of the old oven door
Are two smelly pots
Of odiferous lore!

I closed it up quick
Then husband thinks fast
With a pan in each hand, 
Solves the problem at last.

So supper was planned,
But no longer I fear
By roiling in tummies 
Which suddenly appear.

Has our search been completed,
The solution been found?
Will 'Essence of Bad Renter' 
Still be around?

The answer, I think, 
We will soon know;
The truth of the matter
When I open the door.



Touchdown


Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.  ~Robert Schuller







Never think that God's delays are God's denials.  Hold on; hold fast; hold out.  Patience is genius.  

~Georges-Louis Leclerc


The Unknown Photo - Abstraction or Distraction?


Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.

~William Shakespeare, Mid-Summer Night's Dream, 1595





I ponder
What is said about
A drop in a bucket
And find strength within 
Almost complete
Enough to  
Remain gentle while
The search ends.








It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. 

~Albert Einstein


Sky Blue and Holding





4 comments :

  1. My stars! That is a remarkably good landlady poem. Your abilities with prose never cease to amaze me. Enjoyed your wise quotes very much and also your photos.

    Missing you heaps!

    I see an ad showed up on your blog for the Tyent Water Ionizer. Did you intend for that to be there or is it coming up because you've recently researched it? We've decided on the 9090 but now to wait for the funding to show up. I am impressed by the antioxidant numbers of the Enagic and the Tyent. Like the fact the Tyent does not require chemicals to make the strong acid or strong alkaline water.

    You are continually in my thoughts.

    btswdn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - the ad probably came up because YOU researched it. It doesn't show on mine. The search engines are really smart and put ads for your interests in wherever they can find a spot - same thing happens if you go to Gmail online, or stuff like that. Next time Lance is over there you need to have him install or re-install AdBlock Plus. You may even be able to do it yourself, it looks pretty easy. Makes your online experience much more pleasant!!

    I too am very tickled at the poem you wrote this time. What a headache, but the way you wrote it made it come across as amusing, at least for me, since I didn't go through the whole trouble.

    Thinking of you lots here too! Wishing you well.

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mainly just wanted to hold my breath the whole time I was at the Public Street place, which should have gone in the poem, but that didn't last much beyond the first minute of course. I wasn't happy about the extensive remodel, but it is looking good and the cabinets are a definite plus. I don't even get to choose my paint or carpet anymore thanks to someone, not me, getting a little overeager with the elbow grease on the tar. One zise fits all, I'm told and HD carpet covers more sins. So there. The fuss I get for wanting some variety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just lost everything I wrote. Groan! I liked your poem and your photos. And the sayings. Keep it up! I took yesterday for myself and put together a quilt top and back that had been sitting here for about 10 years because I wasn't too thrilled with the job I did on it. Anyway, I now have a christmassy quilt on the bed downstairs after machine quilting it yesterday. Just don't look close. The squares dont match up very good.

    ReplyDelete