Friday, August 31, 2012

Horse Scents and Nonsense

Eye of Willow


16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned
 - the biggest word of all - LOOK." 



— Robert Fulghum (All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)



Applied Aura


Drop by precious drop,
Powerful substances
Enclose shattered pieces
Of emotion,
Once covered only by
Salty tears of shared pain,
Laughter and endurance.
Call it chemistry, 
Creative process,
Nuclear fusion. 

Unaware, conceptual moment -
An ignited inner light,
Fearless, life-giving, 
Defined by breath and gestures, 
Impenetrable barrier, unresistant,
And Labeled: Experience and Need
The aura of the vital force,
Radiant and obedient.

For, in afterthought
Appeared, and before,
A manifestation
Of the true.  Heart of Hearts, 
Celestial raiment, gifted.
Received for present need;
And so embraced 
A new, perceived reality.
Shining renewable resource. 
Conduit of wonder.


MB



The universe is merely a fleeting idea in God's mind - a pretty uncomfortable thought, particularly if you've just made a down payment on a house.  

~Woody Allen



Why

We had a wonderstanding.
Promises.  Deep,
Soundless and meaningful, 
Your hand
Reaching deeply into my soul
To save me again and again.
A fish floundering out of water,
Wordless and powerful.
Breathless and dying.
Strong and shining,
Perfectly enclosed.
A life composed 
In the net
Of broken hearts
And gracious lies,
Beating on.
'Til words ran out.
Feelings took over,
Filled with pain
And pouring out.
Why this hurt?
From whence this sorrow?
Gently, Mama.
Your boy is crying.



MB
























A painstaking course in qualitative and quantitative analysis by John Wing gave me an appreciation of the need for, and beauty of, accurate measurement.

Paul D. Boyer




Math is fun, it teaches you life and death information, like when you're cold, you should go to a corner since it's 90 degrees there.
Anonymous


























What luck for rulers, that men do not think.  ~Adolph Hitler





Leslie, Brenda

When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football. 

~Author Unknown

Happy Birthday, Leslie, from, among others, your mom and dad! 


Make a game of finding something positive in every situation.
Ninety-five percent of your emotions are determined by how you 
interpret events to yourself. 

 ~Brian Tracy 






Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.


W. C. Fields
                 
                (you've heard that one, right? Smile anyway! :)

Cupcakes ~  by Jane (and Bryan, Sally and Ben)


Next to knowing when to seize an opportunity, the most important thing in 
life is to know when to forego an advantage.

Benjamin Disraeli





The wolf always charges the lamb with muddying the stream.


Elihu Root








A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought.  
There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor  

Victor Hugo~

At Mesa Gateway Airport. Reading, waiting, 102 degrees

Irons rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; 
even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind. 

 ~Leonardo da Vinci, Notebooks, 1508



Love is when the other person's happiness is more important
 than your own.

H. Jackson Brown, Jr.





One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.




When you are describing,
A shape, or sound, or tint;
Don't state the matter plainly,
But put it in a hint;
And learn to look at all things,
With a sort of mental squint.

~Lewis Carroll



Trust that little voice in your head that says "Wouldn't it be interesting if..."  And then do it. 

~Duane Michals, "More Joy of Photography"

5 comments :

  1. Hi sis,

    Great to catch up on your blog today. I'm weary from the heat. Dressed warm today because I got some very snazzy new cow girl boots for our anniversary earlier this week. So to complete the look was a little too warm for this time of year. It worked for a few hours in the morning while we attended the main street parade. Then continued to wear the outfit while I worked on rental stuff in the afternoon. Now I've gotten out of those hot clothes which included socks, jeans, two layer top and of course the very neat boots. So now I look frumpy but at least I'm cooler. Also had to sit down at the computer and catch up on your blog which I always enjoy even if I couldn't understand the hidden meanings in the poems they are well done and I am sure I would enjoy having you explain what they mean.

    I'm reading a book right now that is a little over my head. Once in a while I can make sense of it and it is really funny. I think you would understand it better than me. It's called "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig. The setting is in Montana and it is historical fiction which is some of my favorite type of reading material.

    Today we saw mom, dad and Marcy off in the motor home. The motor home parked in our driveway really classed up the neighborhood. Took the whole length of the driveway from the front of the house to the street.

    Any time we are expecting more relatives to stay a few days starting this afternoon. Beds are made and I have a little more to do since tomorrow is union Sunday.

    Better get to it before the relatives get here. Thanks for blogging.

    btswdnwtobioti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you. Sounds wildly busy. Have relatives headed this way, too, so making beds, working on painting our trim today also. Too bad you couldn't hop in the motor home and come along for the weekend! I found a yard sale in Chandler with books for $1 and the chemistry textbook seemed like the pick of the lot so we(Jerry) :) carted it home in the backpack, a little light reading. :) I'm wading through it slowly. So that's where I came up with some of my ideas for the writing. Also being with Duane one talks about things like nuclear fusion. Which helps expand the mind. :) That and Wikipedia. You know me! A little here and a little there, swinging around some ideas in my head. Also threw in a little Benjamin Franklin, as in the Autobiography of. On my Kindle. Learning as I go, you know. Take care. Enjoy those boots this winter. I'll be jealous, for sure! Could use a pair myself, what color are they...send a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that second picture from above the blue clouds. It reminds me of a fantasy-land! Also fun to see more pictures of you all. Laughed at the quote about how useful math is - how it will be 90 degrees in a corner.

    Tile countertops look AWESOME. Great work you guys. I'm sure it's all coming together.

    Have an amazing time together with family!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thought of you as I took the pretty in-flight cloud pictures! I was quite eager to get them as the captain had announced that we were flying at 32,000 feet, although Jerry occupied the window seat so it was not just exactly convenient to get a good angle. I think it was a case of there being a will so there was a way. Then there is the trouble with the haze of the windows, but used a touch-up feature on Picasa. Wakened to pouring rain the first morning we were there, which sounded so lovely and cooled things very nicely for the day. Although Jerry had hoped to finish, we left our counter-top project right there, practically, but have purchased tickets for October because it looks like September time is flying by and in the meantime we may need to check on things in Helena, MT before winter sets in! Family times went fast, were great and special! Missed you, though! Also need to contact you and see if we can sort out that receipt for Nikken. Please call again when it is convenient for you!

      Delete
    2. Sent the receipt back with Mom's stuff. It was just a paper in one of many boxes of papers. It was from almost a year ago so surely you have it sorted out in your accounting, but didn't want to just throw it away! I've learned that others may find uses for things I don't realize. Yes I want to talk to you and will try again soon! Also, I want to come visit you! But goodness. Don't see how it will work in 2012...

      Love LW in SE WA

      Delete