Thursday, July 12, 2012

Thanks For Giving


Sensing

Water under the bridge
And not a cloud in the sky
And yet, my heart seems
Too heavy to cry.

This road I have walked
Always strong to appear
Yet knowing inside
I just hid a tear.

Surprising how cruel
Who say they are friends
Their wounding so deep
Like thistles and thorns.

Forgive, they expect,
So easy to say
But I wonder what next
Must be carried away.

Stop fighting the sorrow
Admit that it’s there
Embracing the hurt,
The moment to bear.

Then lifting my head
Could ever there be
Beauty surrounding
More abundant to see?

Cool and brisk, 
The seasonal air,
Gathers crispy orange leaves 
To brighten Autumn so fair. 

An early bird song trills
On soft morning breeze.
Robin’s breakfast is served 
With the greatest of ease.

When Indian summer
Slows Autumn’s last gift,
And snowflakes melt and blend
As they drift,

Through Dawn's early mist,
This newborn day
Like every fresh morning
Has music to play.

Someone above
Knows these wounds that we bear
And sends to mere mortals
Such beauty and care.



Bill Cody - Hard and Fast All the Way by Peter Fillerup


















Pay no attention to what the
critics say.  A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic. ~Jean Sibelius

Quick and Really Easy Dinner: 1 Pkg of Ravioli from the Refrigerator Section at the grocery store, a generous portion of
Asparagus, sauteed, stir in fried bite sized bacon pieces, and a few halved yellow cherry tomatoes.
Add the seasoning packet, gently mix, and serve.  







The Scout
 by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney 




Don't be distracted by criticism.  Remember - the only taste of success some people have is when they take a bite out of you.  
~Zig Ziglar


Success comes in cans, not cant's.  ~Author Unknown


Mom used to say that we needed to walk to the school bus.  Other kids got rides, and it seemed much more “cool” to be delivered to the bus stop in a car, somehow more elite.  But Mom was insistent.  The exercise, the fresh air, was good for us, she declared as often as necessary.  I finally stopped asking, more or less.  So off we went in almost any weather, although a few times, in a near blizzard she would offer to drive us or at the very least, to my dismay, insist we put pants on under our dresses, and off we would go, barely able to move in all the snow clothes: socks, boots, snowpants, gloves, hats, scarves around our faces.  How embarrassing. Well, some of that was for playing in the snow.   But there was no argument once Mom had made up her mind.  It was a half mile walk, which turned into one of the best things in my life.  The sweet and quiet interlude between what happened at school and what would happen at home.  Home was pleasant without a doubt.  Chores, some homework, supper, quiet times to read.  The evening went so fast!

But the walk home was surreal in splendor.  The trees whispered in a slight breeze.  Birds sang and shadows cooled us on hot autumn afternoons as we moved from one group of trees to the next, with the heat of the sun baking us between them.  Occasionally we would take our bikes and hide them carefully in the tall grass on the side of the lane, and searched for them a little breathlessly, hoping they hadn’t been discovered and taken while we were at school. 

Sometimes we would walk together, slowly carrying our books and talking.  It wasn’t long, after we got into the upper grades when I thought carefully about which books I would bring home, because they were getting heavier and harder to carry if we took more than a couple of them. 

I liked to run.  Especially in the spring and sometimes in the fall, when it was getting dark quickly and the leaves were crunchy and the air was crisp.  Although my sister cried about it, because she couldn't run fast, especially when we were littler, I could hardly resist running home.  The pure fresh air beckoned.  A quick run and I would be home. And when I needed to run, dear me, how disappointing if she cried and I felt I had to wait for her.  A few times I ran home despite her heartbroken cries.  Well, I sure felt guilty when I did, too!  Then our other sister started school, so they could walk together while I ran.  Still feeling a bit guilty, it meant that they grew closer to each other on those walks side by side.  I was missing out on that sisterly closeness, but I just had to choose.  After sitting all day, it was so hard to not run, and their steps were slow.  Oh, the battle inside.  What to do.   My sister has issues to this day, haunted by being left behind to walk through shadows alone.  Scars of my creation have had their effect on how she thinks.  Not a real big deal, she says.  It’s been buried away and she doesn’t think about it much, or at all, and doesn't want it to grieve me. 

Being kind and patient is something we will never regret. There is no need to add to someone’s sorrow.  Usually life has plenty of burdens to pass around without needing assistance.  My runs at that time of the day were more about being efficient; getting home and getting exercise at the same time.  What I needed to understand was sacrifice.  I was thinking of efficiency; maybe a more fitting word was impatience.  As humans we get good at carefully masking our true nature with a word that doesn’t condemn us, softens the truth a little, to be easier on ourselves.  Disguising the appearance, being slightly dishonest about our motives, does not change how our words or actions made someone feel. 

I could have walked with my sisters, and when I got home, put down my books, changed my shoes, and gone out running alone, if I really wanted to run.  If I was serious about running, that is what I could have done, and no one would have been hurt.  Sure a few times, my plans would have been changed before I could have gone running, but more often it would have happened, and especially if that was something people expected me to do, a pattern. 

I would have become a true runner, like Mindy who ran yesterday in Mesa in 108 degree heat and was surprised to learn it was that hot, who is a dedicated runner, so she runs when it doesn't interfere with other things, gets up early to do it.  It would have been better and I would be happy to be a dedicated runner.  How is it that I think rushing through life is going to get me what I want?  

What we all want is to be the best person we can be, a person that we and others can truly respect, honor and think well of, and not someone who simply appears to be that well-thought-of person.  This person who knows me best of all is me, whose opinion matters most, while temporarily pacified by platitudes, is not even a little fooled by fancy words of self-justification in the long run.    All of life’s experiences surround me with opportunities to help me learn to be that real person.  There will be grades, and tests, and I'll have to study. There is a saying:  When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.   Along the way, I am finding that my path crosses with some amazing people, caring friends, thoughtful, supportive, great teachers.  I am deeply grateful.  





Dusk




We probably wouldn't worry 
about what people think of 
us if we could know how 
seldom they do.  

~Olin Miller

 Always hold your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level. 

~Max L. Forman




If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.  

~Thomas Alva Edison

7 comments :

  1. How well I know the story about walking home from the school bus. I used to love (still would) hearing Mom's stories about her growing up years. You mention you're sorry for leaving her behind. I ask, well, what are siblings supposed to do?!? The beauty of interaction with siblings is it prepares you for real life. Any of Mom's scars from that experience are well-hidden to outside viewers. Not to discount them if they are there. Even parents can't always guess what "awful" things they are doing that negatively affect their children for years. And they always do SOMEthing. Such is life. Therefore, it is SO wonderful that the last stanza of your poem is true:
    Someone above
    Knows these wounds that we bear
    And sends to mere mortals
    Such beauty and care.

    Love, LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely response, my dear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. all right sister...

    It is in the past. You could not control my childish reactions. I'm better off for all the hard things that happened in my life including being scared on the walks to and from the bus. Often we did walk together and you often shared such wisdom which positively shaped me to this day. Honestly I think some of my carrying on was just because I've always enjoyed you so much and wanted your company. So I believe it was a combination of being scared and being lonely for you. Being three years younger at that age was a big difference and I keenly remember the side aches I got trying to keep up with you. I still dislike being alone but I do it a lot. A lot more now than I did then. I suppose there is a part of my now chaotic life that is by design to fill in the times I'm alone so I don't notice. But I do notice and sometimes I make a flying trip to see my adult daughter and grand children to get a "fix". Do you remember I cried when I learned you would be moving so far away when you announced your engagement and I knew we would not have the time together I STILL want? Yeah! I'm not over that YET and you've been married 33 years. It takes me a long time to get over stuff and no, it's not your fault except you are so likeable and I adore being with you. You were like a little tiny mother to me as soon as I was born and we bonded. I'll forever look up to you in awe and admiration.

    Now I really like your blog but gotta go. Renters checking in just a few hours. Yikes. May be a week or more before I get back to the computer depending on if I get that other renter that called yesterday wanting it for several days after this group who has it for 5 days.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. My eyes are wet. Interesting. Yes, I remember the side aches. That is why I would slow down and walk with you. Yes, I know you still want me near at times. I wish I could drop everything and come right now. I know you need my help. I just want you to be as strong as you can be. We all love you so much and you are doing great, we do care for you, you know. We have not forgotten you. I LOVED reading your emails to your bosses. Funny in such an amazingly ridiculous sort of way. Can just picture the chaos you were graciously apologizing for. I am glad you are keeping track for your future book. :) You are, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If my computer does not crash I have a record. Other than that? No.

    Love you and feel your care from such a great distance. You are right here in my heart.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  6. So.....I have to add my two cents to this! If not for you, Monika, I might not have had a sister that was willing to walk with me. And I was such a scaredy cat, that who knows how warped I would have been. Thanks !!!! Because of my walks with Norita, I cried when she moved to Spokane! And that was only two hours away. So, while it might have been a problem for her, it made my life wonderful! I got to look for honeysuckle with her, pick wild roses, and birch bark. Ahhh good memories. But I needed to learn to like running.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now...gotta add my two cents too. I didn't have anybody to walk with me. Big brother occasionally, but was mostly driving by then, or would cut across the field leaving me behind because the weeds or cut grain would scratch up my legs. Oh well, I still enjoyed the wild roses and honeysuckles. I remember the time that a kid threw up on the bus before we got to the high school. When Big brother got on he smelled it and immediately got off and found another ride home leaving me behind. I am traumatized for life! he made up for it in later years though when he was working and would occasionally give me rides to school.

    ReplyDelete