Friday, July 6, 2012

Mix and Match

Stone Barn


Silence is not only golden, it is seldom misquoted.



Bob Monkhouse


A friend is one who knows you
and loves you just the same.


Elbert Hubbard



Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.



Franz Schubert



Holey Place

Tessa

And help us, this and 
every day, to live 
more nearly as we pray.



John Keble


Under the Buzzard's Roost



Alone

Pink Pedicure



A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success!



Doug Larson



On His Toes




There is nothing holier in this life of ours than the first consciousness of love, the first fluttering of its silken wings. 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 




I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch.

Gilda Radner







A good plan is like a road map: it shows the final destination and usually the best way to get there.



H. Stanley Judd


Reflecting





Bedazzled


In the creamy twilight,
Stars shine like water drops,
Alight, the river tumbles, 
O're blackened, sparkling
 rocks.


In olden days a span appeared
Where hand in hand, we walked.
There our hopeful, evening reverie
Splashing softly, t
alked.


If life is the creation 
Of our mesmerizing thoughts
Then destiny is dazzling hope,  
And stars adorn a glowing navy cloak.

A misty spray,
A whispered, wishful spell,
 Entices countless lovers to the 
Very edge of Hell. 


Shall troubled waters roil the deep
Where lot, t'was there it fell?
While fate so deeply bends its knee 
Stubborn destiny deigns not to curtsy well.


Impressionistic moving shapes,
Appear of distant care,
Vaguely present, new and strange,
Of shadows unaware.


While the heights we seek,
Of depths they warn
The load that we shall bear, say they, 
Are burdens we have borne.


Yet dawn's hello greets dark of night 
With tender hopeful morn', 
Arriving in a sunny cloak, 
With glistening dew adorn'd.


Dark disperses to some resting place
Of undefined abiding, 
Vanquished in the light of day,
Rebuked by quiet shining.

Our strong and ancient Sun, 
While in its circuit rising,
For this day chose soft sky blue,
Over tan and dusty hazing.


And on the scented breeze
 From South and West of bearing, 
Wafting fresh and not,
A carcass scent surprising.


Mid-day pours its vengeance out
Upon our uphill climb.
Brave, we rise and ready face
 Endurance test of time.


Your point is clear
Triumphant Ball of Heat,
A densely painted spot of shade 
Would be a real treat.


Nay, baking desert can afford 
No tree for sun to pass,
And parched earth bears even less
 The tiny clumps of grass.


Yet plodding on, the lesson is
That shaggy sage endures,
 And in the distant shimmer, marked,
Another hill appears.


Looking for
The Old Stone Barn
We press the path awhile,
Then danger reasons
Of its strength while caution
Begs a trial.


Long miles of barren wilderness
A different day await.
I would rather own
Defeat today than be the 
Buzzard's bait.




Smoke But No Fire



No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow.

Alice Walker


Hat's Off for the Flag

Ride'em Cowboy!



Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
Henry Ford


The Search Is On
Found shade in a large, dry culvert to see if we could get some help finding the Stone Barn.


Evening
And Morning



Road Less Taken
A man is known by the silence he keeps.


Oliver Herford


When I started taking piano lessons, the second or third song I learned was Ode to Joy.  I thought it was a very boring song and wondered why it was so popular and famous.   The story goes that Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125  was composed and performed by Beethoven, (who had started going deaf at age 26) based on a poem by  Friedrich Schiller.


I loved the story of what happened.  After the piece was performed for the first time, one of the singers went over to where Beethoven was standing, still conducting the orchestra although  a few measures out of sync, and turned him around to see how the audience was applauding enthusiastically.  I have always been amazed to think of a deaf composer of music, and my heart was touched by the story of the triumphant performance. But I still thought it was a boring song.  Until I saw this video yesterday.  Too bad they only introduced me to the most basic theme.  These children don't look at all bored!





3 comments :

  1. I like that Ode to Joy video - I too thought it was a pretty boring song. And when I was teaching piano students the same short version, it just reinforced that idea. Whew! I also enjoy that story about Beethoven conducting even after the song was finished.

    Appreciating your continued poetry efforts! That one turned out nicely. I like your style.

    Your pictures are awesome! You always catch details I would have overlooked :)

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Your comments make me smile as always. One of the horses was snapping at another, I tried to catch it on the camera as we passed, but wasn't quite quick enough! Also the man in the pink shirt was "bucking"...probably to limber up? I don't know. Just missed that too, because he stopped, and perched on the saddle horn as I got my focus. And Jerry is somewhat supportive of my picture taking...however, not necessarily when we are on the way somewhere, driving, so many of my shots are taken at full speed ahead and I find myself amazed when I get any decent shots at all! Thank goodness I don't have to worry about developing film with all the blurred shots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the video too. I liked it when I played it it was a song I recognized and sometimes Dad would play the accordion with me.

    ReplyDelete