Thursday, May 1, 2014

Catching up on Spring 
Blustering Snow on Carter
As spring struggles to overcome winter, I'm inspired by the simple inevitability of the sun's victory as the world tips, twirls, and turns.  With the encouragement and enthusiasm of a three week visit from our daughter, she and I started P90X.  On the 9th and 14th day we were way-laid by facing up to the effects of her broken finger and my on-going Achilles's tendinitis.  I shall persevere and heal - R.I.C.E.  Meanwhile, as life happens to not coincide with my best laid plans, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.  

I promised to report on my My New Year's Resolutions, and sadly they have met with an inevitable and expected situation - my husband's business plans and growth demands more of me than I want to give.  The inner conflict is considerable. As pieces of time for my plans are shaved away incrementally and this development requires of me adaptation, I cooperate somewhat reluctantly, like spring being tugged backwards into winter.   

My practical side is at war with my art, with my dreams.  This blog post then, is about me and my camera.  Together we are refusing to submit to the mundane.  We will persist in robbing life of its commonplace.  We will live in beautiful moments.

After the Squall


Rental Renovation Project.
That is my toe in the picture (below Foto).
Worn out and watching him work.


Passing Through - Dawson's Tree.





Meatloaf measured with Pampered Chef large cookie scoop
and baked in Demarle 24 count Muffin Tray for 15 minutes.

Recipe calls for cheddar cheese.  I was out of it,
so used spinach to replace it.  Delicious - did not miss the cheddar, loved the flecks of healthy green.  Too bad I didn't think of that 

when I had little kids.

Diced potatoes just covered in water cook faster -
then mash while combining with powdered milk.

Voila'! 


Glazed Beef Loaf

Recipe is a family favorite.  I don't like meatloaf surprises and I do like great presentation.
This one has:

2 eggs, 

1 1/2 c. grated cheddar, 
2/3 c. shredded raw carrots, 
1/4 c. ketchup,  
3 slices bread, cubed or approximately 1/2 c. uncooked oatmeal - I used organic. 
Two teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.  
2/3 c. Milk - canned is good if you're low on milk for breakfast.  
Bake until well browned and bubbling.  350° (1 1/2 hrs. in loaf pan.)

Before serving, glaze with 1/4 c. brown sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon prepared mustard that has been heated on stove in a small sauce pan - watch it, don't boil.  I mix this without measuring.  I like plenty of glaze.


Happy Birthday to me - what a nice day.  Thank you!


The Ivy, no less!


Kids' gift.

(It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.)  



Royale Charlotte Cake - oh my.


Found My Bliss

















Angles and Light


Sunset Booty

7 comments :

  1. Alas...business goals. Let's steal moments and talk on the phone. I love, love, love your photos. God is an amazing artist and you have captured it at it's loveliest. The recipe sounds great with the spinach substitution. Will try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Was a beautiful evening, so got several good shots of the sky. Glad the highway wasn't busy that time of day, so I could pull off and on, back up for a better angle, etc. Didn't want to spend too much time in that area as it is an accident prone area, and when I'm focusing on the waning light my attention is somewhat divided, but rather than just ooh and ahh by myself, thought I'd share the view, keeping one eye out for traffic! For the snow scene, I didn't have quite the right footwear for the trek through ankle deep wet snow, but it is spring and wasn't TOO unpleasant - just some crazy photog out there trying not to be noticed where the fishermen usually are spending their time (in nicer weather). The reflections sure caught my eye. Yes, call me - appt at 1 tomorrow, but otherwise available for a chat while I clean house for mtg and potluck. Off to work on a rental bathroom - ewww. Reminds me, need to put in rubber gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Glad to see a few photos of your birthday and the beautiful-as-usual scenery...my favorite!

    So sorry about the resolutions gone. All too familiar, isn't it? Working on my mind. Probably the hardest change to make. Makes the biggest difference in the rest of it, I think.

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say, congrats to both of you on doing P90X. I am not there. Quitting the gym here right shortly, and hoping to switch to couples at-home workouts. Wish me/us luck. Wondering how I will find the motivation to start, let alone keep going. Hopefully results will be good and fast. Luckily the time investment will not be huge. 12-30 minutes per day.

    Lance, on the other hand, was doing Insanity Workouts last I heard, 6 days a week. Phew. Sounds horrendous. And it doesn't really sound like he "worked up to it" in any way, he and his roommate just dived right in. I saw that he was slimmer the last time we were together. Haven't seen him in a while now, though.

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insanity is a tough workout - I've tried doing a little of it. Lucky he's young enough to get away with diving right in! Good for him! He was watching his diet when I was there - no Twinkies! I find p90x a huge challenge, but always glad when I've done it. Not sure how long I'm going to have to nurse this tendinitis, but it's sure annoying. Yes, it came down to me or my resolutions, I guess. I keep thinking there's a way to do it all - but that seems to be just out of reach for now - give in or drown under the pressure! Really thankful for my quiet moments! Challenged by the interruptions to get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is fun to catch up on your blog. Your photos are lovely! You have such a beautiful touch and eye for it! Good for you and Mindy on your workout. I am not surprised that it went by the wayside based on seeing her finger the other day. I don't even remember my new years resolutions. Just going from day to day. I was soooo glad to see you for a taste last week. I feel so bad that we didn't get to see you on the way home. We arrived home very weary last night. I left within 10 minutes to take a midterm test that took almost hours. 6-10 Then up and out the door at 7:45 for an all day class today and tomorrow. I am feeling tired. I will call you next week and have the chat that we missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, the food looks delish! That is an amazing dessert!

    ReplyDelete