Monday, January 27, 2014

 FROZEN
Dart

Foggy Morning
The Huntress

Currier and Ives


Posing Pretty

Shallow Shadows  

Reflecting


How would you describe the distinctive sound of a Skype call coming in – and my head over tail dive to the stair-well when I hear the bubbles and taps – a headlong dash to my corner of the office where the cordless phone is buried under piles of neglect?  It’s not every day a person gets a call from Ethiopia.  I didn’t know when it was coming and didn’t intend to miss it.

 I’ve been schooling myself about worry.  Duane was hesitantly comforting when assuring me of Mindy’s general safety, which may or may not contribute to my concerns. Headlong dashes through various obstacles may result in injuries or bruises at a certain frantic pace, but calls from Ethiopia rank right up there importance with the Super Bowl and the State of the Union address combined.

Worry is like a Jack-in-the-box (the child’s toy rather than the merchant of hamburgers) and you would think after the many adventures of my very own little Minnie the Pooh, I’d have conquered the beast.   I went to Greece with every intention of laying it to rest, and have made some progress, I’m happy to say.  Still, you know how it goes.  Push the little clown in the box and close the lid.  Crank the handle and crank some more.  Just when you start to relax – Surprise!  He pops up again, just like you knew he would.   

No matter how many times I stuff the worry clown into a box, if I keep cranking the handle, it’s going to pop up again.  Concern because she hasn’t called or written for ___ Days. How’s Mindy, asks so and so?  Haven’t talked to her since _______ precisely.    Enough already: just stop cranking the handle.  Nice clown.  Quiet clown.  Stay in the box and everything will be just fine.

The truth is that worry won’t change a thing.  The girl is savvy.  She’s been around the block a time or two.  She has handed a dressing down to more than one student full of wild oats, although a few battles did not produce a clear winner.  I know her biggest challenges are the mouthy teeny-boppers with a sorority attitude.  And that’s just in the classroom. 

Now she’s facing the battle she can’t win – brown skinned, brown eyed Ethiopian beauties around the age of nine.  Give her a handsome lout to punch and she’ll let him know who’s boss, but there’s not a little kid who won’t be able to count coup over her.   Third grade?  Why did they give her third grade?   Still, velvet-eyed third-graders may have her twisted around their sticky little fingers – but she’s on to their thieving ways.  That jack-in the box is easy to set aside. 

The bigger worries are what I’m working on.  Imagination, fear, hunger, loneliness – what she doesn’t or may not be telling me.  Those Jacks have to be stuffed in more resolutely.   Mama’s optimistic  but Mama has her passport if needed.  I’m glad she’s got a sucker punch and isn’t afraid to use it.

Meanwhile, the report on the scene of  the resolutions is mixed.  Some success.  Shall we say one step forward - strong uptrend on friends and family connections which is lovely, (although have one belated birthday card idle), and one step in place for all the wishful thinking I've entertained. There are several other important misses.  

Chaos hasn't been getting enough push-back around here, but I never said this would be easy. Signing off facebook seems like the solution for taking control of my time. See you in two weeks, or two hours, or maybe two minutes.  Yeah.  I think I've identified the problem:  a facebook addiction. Time for a 12 step program.  Ciao for now.  If you don't see me, I've won.





Coming soon: 12 Steps.  This beast must be conquered.  Stay tuned.

9 comments :

  1. Great writing. Wonderful photos. You are an artist in many ways. Yes, worry about Mindy. We all are but know you are the most. Pray without ceasing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 12 step program huh? Looking forward to the blog on that as I could probably benefit from a 12 step program in something too.

    For my whole life I will probably be working on the worry problem too. And I don't even have kids outta the house yet. I worry about many, many things. I have taken to saying positive things out loud when that happens and it helps let things go.

    I like the winter pictures. Absolutely no snow here. Wasn't much last year either. And I thought we lived in the "NORTH"?!

    Off to some more work.
    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days go better than others. This is a tough one. Her birthday, if all I get is the reassurance that all is well, how much easier it would be. When I don't get that, and have to wait, it's sure an exercise in finding my "centeredness". Thankful for yoga phrases that come to mind. Lesson two seems to be about resignation. "Que sera', sera. This morning I'm fighting tears, so it's definitely a little harder. Okay. Not fighting them at all. Just breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, my dear sister. . . I can't identify completely, but those days when Andrea or Amanda were travelling alone, especially without a phone, have caused my Jack to refuse to go back in the box and close until I heard that they made it. And when things don't go smoothly, moms (and dads) really worry. Or at least I do. We worry for you and for Mindy right along side of you. I wish I could be with you to hold your hand while you worry and give into your tears. We love that gal! She is a special lady! It is hard when they take off for far away places in a scary world. It would be sad to hold them back too. Stay safe, Mindy! Hugs Monika! Oh, your photos and writing ARE truly art. Once again the beauty of your blog leaves me in awe! Oh, and the Superbowl and Obamas speech don't come close to comparing with a Skype call from overseas when you are the parent. And that is saying something, because the Superbowl is pretty exciting here this year! I think I will see it for the first time ever and I am looking forward to it. Go Seahawks! Better yet, Go Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my tears and fears were completely unfounded. She called me not long after the melt down by which time I was exhausted. The nine hour time change and distance combined to make me feel helpless, frustrated and angry. She had a sweet happy sound in her voice to boot. Sigh. Mama Bear is feeling a little foolish at having to report this, so thank you for sympathizing! I really had done quite well up till her birthday day. When she told me I could have reached her by the number we all have, I realized that I hadn't been thinking logically. Ethiopia is a long ways away. That day I felt every mile.

      Delete
  5. there was a day when Heidi was in Europe when a train derailed and we worried for about 9 hours when finally we got THE phone call right on time that everything was OK and she was on a different train...WHEW...know the feeling. glad the rest of you did not have to TRY YOUR WINGS. not that there were never any worries..just not so far away. love mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sure relate to your concerns better now - that would just about do me in, too - and I've been tested. At the time I heard the story, Heidi was safe and sound just like she should be, so it didn't scare me at all!

      Mindy broke us in gradually but persistently. Felt she was quite safe in Chile because of being with Lisa. Besides, it was only three weeks. Spain for six months did about give me a heart attack every four days. I hovered around my computer waiting for an Instant Message to come in - and tried to picture her sweating in a phone booth at 110°F at 10 p.m. in Seville when we finally got a long awaited phone call and got to hear her voice. Argentina's landing didn't go real smooth; a mixture of Spanish dialects and no money to make a phone call, Visa inaccessible and uncooperative and me trying to mediate from the US didn't help much. Definitely called on some deep breathing technique while I awaited the resolution of that one. At least that only lasted a few long minutes until he power of persuasion paid off and she connected with Kim. Seventeen hours driving to Sequim with Duane before he could help drive when she was in high school - driving with the windows open and singing along with the radio on full volume to help her stay alert. They got lost in Spokane trying to find Hawthorne Street - Before GPS. Twenty five state road trip one summer...at least in Europe we were together for the duration. Easier to keep track of her! Greece, too - running to catch the (right) ferry with my heavy pack on trying to keep up with Mindy and Lisa! Each trip has had one challenge or another, although if only how to connect with Lisa or with my luggage: minor. Very minor in retrospect. I don't think we've ever been in the pickle Heidi was in Austria, but Italy came close, and a few trips home from Laramie when the car decided not to cooperate - the Hell's Angel's rescued her once and an immigrant family another time, who stopped to give her a ride in a torrential rainstorm. We learned a thing or two about missing connections and getting lost in Torino - and saved by strangers at a movie theatre showing Harry Potter of all things and by Sandy F. making a beeline for who knows where when we spotted her (looking for us).

      Delete
  6. Ahhhh. Glad that she is home again! I have a few horror stories with our girls. Amanda informed us that she is headed to Italy for a month with a school program and then joining the family that she and Andrea nannied for in the past. June and July at least. So here we go again. I thought all was well in Hawaii. After all she is with 80+ people, but NO, I got a phone call where she was close to tears. Thankfully help appeared as she was on the phone with me. All is well and they are in Maui now.

    ReplyDelete