Friday, September 21, 2012


Something Old, Something New


Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.
 

H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


A Turned Leaf


Cosmic Lyrics

You took my breath away
Why, oh why did you take my heart?
And how did you put that tickle in the words you say?
Beat by beat you took over my heart
Aware every dancing footstep betrays 
How thought by thought you took over my mind,
Pretending when you walked in the room
Not to notice as your soul took over my body.
While in those moments I pretended not to see,
Prisoners embraced though space and cosmos
Yearning for what we always hoped to be
Forever hoping to be free
When the only struggle left
Is a star war, a last cosmic battle
Heartbeat to heartbeat and eye to eye
Hand in hand taking over,
Taking over more of me.



















And each man stands with his face in the light.  Of his own drawn sword, ready to do what a hero can. 



Elizabeth Barrett Browning


We’re friends,
Best Friends
Living together
Laughing at each other.
For what I’m sure is the zillionth time
You say, “There’s nothing worse than…”
And I say, “Well, if that’s the worst thing ever, then
Life is good!  Life is pretty good.  Because that’s the worst thing.  Ever.”
And you say, “Oh, you’re up?” (again) and "Did you call about that towing bill?"
(Again) and "Don't forget to contact the insurance company about the rental roof." (again)
Or  “Would you make me a lunch today?” And I say, “Sure”, but I stay on Facebook for
A few more minutes, and I check the news.  And then when it's time for you to go, and I say,
“Oops, forgot you asked for a lunch.  It will just take me a few minutes.” And I say, “Sorry”, 
But you don’t because you always blame me for everything.  And I laugh.  Because I have learned
What You need.  Someone to take the blame. When you’re upset and you hurt, I find ways
To make it better. A cup of tea, a massage, teaching you a new way to stretch.
And when I am hurt, you do the same for me. Maybe more often.
And you bring  me a glass of ice water,
And you cleaned out the garage
So I can park my car there
Out of the weather.
Best Friends. 
I love you.  



You just have to keep on doing what you do. It's the lesson I get from my husband; he just says, Keep going. Start by starting. 


Meryl Streep 


Crazy Ransom

 Sighing because
I can’t get you off my mind
For a while it was fine
And I didn’t mind
Being consumed
By your scent,
And your touch,
Your eyes, too.
And now it’s been forever
It should have gone away
Can’t help wondering
What happened to my brain
My crazy brain just
Won’t let go.
Now that every moment
And every thought
Is spent on you
Annoying me
I can’t get away
There's no escape
Not even death
Will set me free.
I want to stop, but I can't.
You are and I am.  I know
You’ve tried to stop
Thinking of me
Too, but short of
Tearing off my head.
Just like the opera
There is no moment
When you aren't there
Driving me a little crazy,
You’re driving me crazy.
I want to stop.
I think I’m going crazy
'Cause I'm on a merry-go-round
That doesn't stop.
I’m crazy in love with you
Please, please let me go.
My life for a moment of peace
You are my breath,
My heart, my life.
I can't let go, don't let me go.


Life is a long lesson in humility. 


James M. Barrie 

















Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God: 
But only he who sees takes off his shoes. 



Elizabeth Barrett Browning 


Toast

 A moment in time
Slipped by
When Like turned into Love
And I missed it. 
It should have said something,
Introduced itself,
So I would have noticed
That moment.
I could have enjoyed it when it happened.
Instead, it snuck up on me
Tapped on my shoulder
And suddenly, “BOO”!
There it was.  “Surprise!”
Tingling from the ends of your fingers
Sparkling out of the essence of your presence
And turning my heart into fluttering
Leaping, breathless toast.
And when we kissed, I shivered.
But wait a minute!
  I thought my heart was safe!  
Under lock and key.
How did you get in?
I didn't plan to fall in love,
I didn't plan to feel a thing.
But that wasn't enough for you,
Was it?  First you made me
Fall in love, and when
I gave up the fight,
Gave you my heart,
You broke it.
Thanks a lot.
My heart is toast.  
Burnt toast.

Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else. 
Les Brown 


The one lesson I have learned is that there is no substitute for paying attention. 
Diane Sawyer






 "You aren't taking a picture of this door, are you?" (for your blog?") 
'Fraid so.  The door is a sight, but the threshold just went through a clean up process before my very eyes and I'm impressed.  And anyway, I think the door will be replaced or repaired, so I'm not too worried.  The point is, the process, as I watch it step by step, still amazes and fascinates me!  And the tools.  Oh, the tools.  You should see them!

7 comments :

  1. A husband post? I knew you would be able to useth e books. So things are going well. As I type, I am listening to Masaki chat with his dad in Japanese. Now he is grumbling in english that he heard them last time they said that and grumble, grumble (teenage talk). The workers have arrived for the weekend, and I am having fun creating desserts for a birthday party that we will have here tomorrow. it will be very pink and white and mint green and elegant. Time to use my wedding china. I wish you were here. I love sister time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, resurrected a couple of pictures from previous weeks! I used it although it was slightly blurry. Thanks for the suggestions!

    The party sounds fun and I wish I was there, too! All sweet and elegant. I would bring the tea and make orange cranberry scones with Devonshire cream and bring the sugar cubes! I hope someone takes some pictures. It sounds fun and elegant, and no doubt yummy!

    It's shaping up to be a busy Saturday here if I get done what I hope to! We did make a lot of progress on our trailer house rental re-do. Painting, and more painting, outside and doors, next more trim painting! Kitchen cabinets are sitting in the living room in boxes. I am struggling a little because I am not in charge of the project, a position I prefer. :)

    I remember one of my kids hung up on me when I tried to do a phone lecture. Not too successful! Poor Masaki. A lecture from Japan has to be a little uncomfortable. Please ask him how to say I love you in Japanese. Hiromi taught us, but I need a refresher course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Glad the opportunity has presented itself to do a road trip! Excited.

    Enjoying your post. Your writing embodies the for better, for worse aspect. Regardless of the experience, we are committed, invested, attached - to one another. And I like how you are focusing on thankfulness for each positive thing, especially in the second one.

    Liked the "shape" writing.

    Okay, so why do I so much love sky pictures!?! That photo that is mostly sky and a bit of earth is just beautiful to me. It says "freedom" "expanse" and "I am small" all in the same breath to me. The wisps of clouds give it depth and interest.

    Heard about someone who said for 30 days he decided to take one photo every day. I like that idea. He says it made the month so much more memorable. I think you are doing the same thing!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you comments, LMW! Insightful! The sky is amazing here. The scenery is ever changing because of the vast expanses of sky and clouds. It enchants me and takes my breath away on a regular basis.

    I am in favor of learning from each experience. That does not mean it is always easy. Having married a man who seems to have tunnel vision, and my lack of ability to convince him that there could possibly be another way of doing things than his is laughable in retrospect! I am reminded often of the Bernstein Bears stories that I loved as a child. The poor dad tried to show his son how to do something and every time they came home with the father looking rather beat up and definitely the worse for wear. As they went along, Brother Bear would solemnly say, "That was a very good lesson for me!" I loved the irony of it and still can't help but grin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your blog again. You are such a good photographer and writer. Also enjoy everyone's comments. Annabelle declined noticeably the past two days. Don't know how much is due to the medication but it is needed to keep her as comfortable as can be. Did LMW send you the link to the slide show she did for Annabelle? She's got talent and I admire it. Just lovely how she put it together in such a classy and interesting way. I have about 20 more years of pictures to get to her and hope to do that in a few days. At the moment I'm procrastinating the vacation rental clean up. They check in tomorrow afternoon so I can't put this off much longer. Likely will have a funeral on October 6th or if not then, the following Saturday. Since the house is rented we are inviting anyone who wants to camp with us to bring their camping gear along. It should be fun and funny.

    Better git...

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just one more thought as I glanced through the wonderful photos again on last week's blog I was reminded of something I saw today when I saw the photo of J reaching for the horse.

    After seeing Annabelle today I was driving by a horse pasture with an electric fence (white tape type) and the horse was standing as far away as it could get but leaning toward the band to touch it with it's nose. The ears were laid back. Just testing to see if it would get a jolt again and I'm sure it did. Funny how it sticks in my mind. Now really! Off to finish cleaning the second level.

    btswdnwtbioti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch. That seems kind of hard on a tender nose.

    I did get the slide show link and your daughter did do a nice job! I enjoyed seeing the pictures, changing styles. What a fun and creative bunch of sisters they were. Noticed that about Doris, so it was fun to see the "bouquet" of skunk cabbage leaves and wild flowers she and Annabelle picked, and the pictures of 5 goofy girls back from a woodland walk. How they could laugh! Oh, I don't know yet what our plans will be, but probably won't be camping with you that weekend. Have fun, though. I'm sure you'll all have a blast making do and doing without. How much floor space do you have in the camper?

    ReplyDelete